Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Phone

I have my son’s IPhone 11 that I would like to use. He passed away August 8, 2019 unexpectedly. It apparently is attached to an Apple ID. How can I get this reset.

Posted on May 14, 2020 8:47 AM

8 replies

May 14, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Androish

But if the device is locked with a passcode there is no way in the world to unlock it. Apple can’t do it. the typical hacker can’t do it. The FBI succeeded once to unlock one device (after Apple said it wasn’t possible), but they paid $ 1 million to an Israeli security firm to do it. And the method they used required removing the memory chips from the phone. And Apple fixed that vulnerability, so it can’t be used again. But with access to the Apple ID the phone can be reset remotely, and any backups can be restored to it or viewed.

May 14, 2020 9:16 AM in response to Androish

If that is the issue, yes. But Apple is very strict about removing Activation Lock. They won’t do it without the original sales receipt that shows you as the one who purchased the phone new from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller. If it was purchased by a family member they will require the same documentation as listed in the links that we provided for deceased recovery. If it was purchased used they won’t unlock it, period.

Reset Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.