Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I set a blank default google search page in safari on iPad Pro 2020

I have a new iPad Pro 2020 and when I open Safari to do a google search it always remembers the last page that was viewed at the time it was closed down. How do you set safari to go use a default blank 'Google' search page each time it is opened?

Note: This relates to an iPad which I believe is a different process to that used on a desktop computer.

I would like to set Safari to open a saved default 'Google' search page. At present I have to clear the search box BEFORE closing safari so that when it opens it remembers the cleared page

I have tried saving a default page as mentioned on the internet:

Open safari>use a blank page>save as default page to home page etc. but this does not work, it still insists on opening the last viewed page and not starting with the saved default blank page

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 14, 2020 10:33 AM

4 replies

May 14, 2020 11:50 PM in response to sberman

Hi thank you for your reply.

My issue is not quite the same and perhaps I did not clarify it as well as I should have. The issue is as follows. From my homepage I click on Safari and it opens the google search engine. However, it will open to show the result of the last search I made. This is not what I want. I want to click on Safari and have google search open to a clear search box and a blank search page. If I clear the search result and then close down Safari it will open to a blank page, just as I want, because it is again showing the page that I last viewed when I closed safari.

What I want is for safari to clear the search I previously made when it is closed down. On my Windows PC I can set a default page for my browser (a blank google search engine) when I open it it will always show that page, why can’t I have Safari do the same, simply remember and open the google search engine with a blank page for me to start a new search?

I don’t want to have to clear the search engine every time before I close down safari

May 15, 2020 12:09 AM in response to Yogi620

Ah, I think I understand what you’re trying to say a bit better, thanks.

Yogi620 wrote:

From my homepage I click on Safari and it opens the google search engine.

The reason you happen to see this (as opposed to, say, an Apple.com page) is that it is the last page you visited. In the iOS and iPadOS world, there is no ability to set a start page when opening Safari. When you open a new Safari tab, you may go through the process I demonstrated above. But opening Safari will always show its previous contents, whether you happen to be pointed at Google or somewhere else.

May 14, 2020 11:00 AM in response to Yogi620

I don’t follow the process you are using. I also do not have your issue.

Here is the process I use, and again, I have never had this issue.

Because I use multiple tabs in Safari, I will begin by adding a new tab, yielding this.

Next, I visit google.com by typing it in the URL field. (Of course, depending on what you’re looking for, perhaps you should type that directly into the URL field instead.

May 15, 2020 1:16 AM in response to Yogi620

Here is a way around this issue, roughly (but not exactly) achieving what you want.

First, perform this one-time exercise of adding the non-filled google.com website to your favorites. Do this by visiting the site, then tap the box with the up-arrow and choose “Add to Favorites”.

Any time after you’ve done this, you may now open a page in Safari, then tap the address bar without typing. That will cause your Favorites to appear. Choose google.

How can I set a blank default google search page in safari on iPad Pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.