Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Block SMS texts from unknown senders

• The ability to block/ignore SMS text messages from unknown senders (senders not in your contact list)

We have this ability for iMessage and the Phone app. But not for SMS texts.

Please do not post a link or explain how to block texts/callers once they have already made the offense. We know how to do this. No, what we are looking for is a way to prevent from being punched in the face before we open the front door (if we don't recognize, we don't open).

The spammers have the ability to change their phone number (on the cheap). Making it impossible to perma-block said spammer.

-The best way I've found around this somewhat, is by permanently putting my phone into 'Do Not Disturb' mode, and then modifying everyone in my contacts list to be an 'emergency bypass' contact.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 14, 2020 11:45 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 14, 2020 12:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Fair enough. Blocking and Ignoring I will agree are two separate things. I chose my words poorly. How about this:

Ignore or Silence SMS texts from unknown senders

• The ability to ignore, silence, or prevent notifications of arriving SMS text messages from unknown senders (senders not in your contact list)

Because you've enlightened me on one issue I hadn't foreseen, I actually don't want my carrier to block these texts. I still want to receive them, just not be notified of their arrival. Blocking via the carrier would be a bad thing. Example: 2-factor authentication SMS texts from legit services etc.

May 14, 2020 12:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

No. This has to be incorrect, as we have the ability to block something once we know the number using our mobile device. In other words, when I block a number on my phone, that does not propagate to some list my carrier then uses to do the actual 'blocking'.

I can also put the phone in 'Do Not Disturb' mode, and achieve the same functionality. When I turn that mode on, does it then alert my phone company to not disturb me... except for contacts listed as emergency bypass? I don't think so. -Do not disturb is just a feature of the phone. Not the carrier. I want a similar feature for SMS texts. -do not disturb if incoming person is not in my contact lists.

Is that a bit more clear?

May 14, 2020 12:35 PM in response to jmmathew

jmmathew wrote:

No. This has to be incorrect, as we have the ability to block something once we know the number using our mobile device. In other words, when I block a number on my phone, that does not propagate to some list my carrier then uses to do the actual 'blocking'.

The ability to block something once you have the number is one thing. You asked to block unknown senders. Only your carrier can do that.

I can also put the phone in 'Do Not Disturb' mode, and achieve the same functionality. When I turn that mode on, does it then alert my phone company to not disturb me... except for contacts listed as emergency bypass? I don't think so. -Do not disturb is just a feature of the phone. Not the carrier. I want a similar feature for SMS texts. -do not disturb if incoming person is not in my contact lists.

Putting the phone in Do Not Disturb does not block the text, it just blocks the notification. You are describing 3 different functions. When I said to contact the carrier, they can block text messages at the server level, before they reach your phone.

Is this a bit more clear?

Block SMS texts from unknown senders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.