Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get apple tv 4k to work at 60p

Hi all,

I am sending my apple TV 4k signal through an Atlona matrix switcher and then to my TV. My setup (switcher, cables, TVs) can pass 4k HDR at 60p as evidenced by the fact that I get flawless 4k HDR or dolby vision at 60p from my xbox one source. However with the apple TV 4k it only seems to work at 4k HDR 30p. When I try to go to 60p, the signal somewhat goes through but I get a very grainy and unwatchable picture.

I heard of similar issues for people trying to send the signal through an AV receiver that should pass 4k hdr at 60p but can't do that with the apple TV 4k and are limited to 30p.

Anybody has an idea on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 14, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 2:49 PM

It may work with other sources but that doesn't rule out the switcher, which can be notorious for having these kind of issues. The best way to say for sure is to test with a direct connection to the TV.

Similar questions

7 replies

May 14, 2020 3:09 PM in response to vazandrew

It does work when plug directly to the TV. The issue I am trying to solve is that it should work through the switcher too but does not. I mentioned the xbox one source as an example, but in reality all other sources I have tried (xbox one, blu ray player, amazon fire stick and a few others) could pass 4k HDR at 60p. The only device that I cannot get to work is the apple TV 4k.

May 14, 2020 3:32 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you.

Yes ideally that's what I'd like to do. However, the tough part is when I bring this up to the switcher manufacturer customer support they tell me to call Apple cause it is on their end and when I call Apple they tell me to call the switcher manufacturer cause it's on their end. So I am not overly optimistic about the prospect of solving this through customer support on either end.

Hopefully I'll find somebody in the community that has resolved this issue...maybe not with a switcher but a similar device like an AVR.

May 14, 2020 4:21 PM in response to AV_NPB

The manufacturer of the switcher is giving you the runaround and is quite common because they do not want to take the responsibility. It is not on Apple's end as the issue is occurring distinctly when connected to the switcher. Any switcher will tend to be hit or miss, and are typically from no name brands (which is why I don't tend to recommend them).

You would be much better suited with an AVR or even a soundbar with passthrough, you are free to wait for recommendations but you can also do your own research to see what works best for your needs.

May 14, 2020 4:35 PM in response to vazandrew

Mine is from Atlona, I think they are a pretty well recognized brand in that space. And the specific product I have is the highest end they make for residential applications.

Unfortunately an AVR won't work for me as I am distributing through cat 6 throughout the entire house. So I really need a HDbaseT switcher.

I understand the idea that because it works when connected directly one might point to the switcher as the issue. That is reasonable. But it would be as reasonable to think that because the switcher can pass every other source at that resolution without a problem, then it's the apple TV 4k device that has a handshake issue with this type of device. I am afraid I'll never really know what device is really responsible.

May 14, 2020 5:05 PM in response to AV_NPB

It may be a good seller within that space, but that is not a name brand, and even "high end" models within that space have been known to have issues. The majority will be hit or miss

It is very common for switchers to work with many devices, and then have issues that are isolated to a particular one. In those cases it would be the switcher that is unable to passthrough, and not a handshake issue caused by the connected device. Similar scenarios have been found for various other devices as well.

The bottom line is you will then need to persist with the device manufacturer in order to see about any solution. Or look into getting another switcher.

Can't get apple tv 4k to work at 60p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.