Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting 4K to work on Apple TV 4K with Yamaha RX-V573 and LG TV

I recently got a new LG 4K TV and was having trouble getting 4K content from my Apple TV 4K (my previous TV wasn't 4K). The Apple TV is connected to the TV via my Yamaha audio/video receiver, model RX-V573. I founds other posts here and elsewhere from people having similar issues, but none of the solutions I found worked for me or were applicable to my specific receiver.

In my case, the problem was the fact that my receiver supports 4K, but not at the most common 60/50 Hz refresh rates. The maximum 4K refresh rate is 24Hz. In the Apple TV settings for video formats, I found 4K HDR at 24Hz under "Other Formats" and I was able to successfully use that one.

I would have posted this as a response to one of the other threads about this, but they've been locked due to inactivity.

OLED65C1PUB,

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 1:02 PM

It's good of you to share this info. You've chosen the least common denominator as far as video features go to maintain compatibilty with your AVR...

Most folks won't see much difference in frame rate (24 vs 30 vs 60Hz), but you're sort of missing out on the color-related HDR / Dolby Vision capabilities of your ATV4K and LG OLED TV. If cable management isn't a show stopper, I would run an HDMI v2.1 cable directly to the TV from the ATV4K (and reset/reconfig all the video settings on both devices). The Yamaha should still sound good with what gets back to it via ARC / HDMI 1.4.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 1:02 PM in response to Roofless

It's good of you to share this info. You've chosen the least common denominator as far as video features go to maintain compatibilty with your AVR...

Most folks won't see much difference in frame rate (24 vs 30 vs 60Hz), but you're sort of missing out on the color-related HDR / Dolby Vision capabilities of your ATV4K and LG OLED TV. If cable management isn't a show stopper, I would run an HDMI v2.1 cable directly to the TV from the ATV4K (and reset/reconfig all the video settings on both devices). The Yamaha should still sound good with what gets back to it via ARC / HDMI 1.4.

Feb 23, 2022 11:05 AM in response to bgmeek

FYI, I connected the ATV4K directly to the TV yesterday afternoon, and that worked as you suggested. As soon as I turned on the ATV it asked if I wanted to switch to 4K Dolby Vision, and when I said OK it successfully switched to that mode.

Question: I had previous set the ATV Match Content settings to on, but they were turned back off when it switched to Dolby Vision. Is there any benefit to turning these back on given my configuration?

Feb 23, 2022 7:52 PM in response to Roofless

TLDR: I suggest leaving Match Content OFF. If you’re seeing problems, double-check your TV’s settings to accept HDR10/Dolby Vision and if you still see problems, try turning on Range then Frame Rate. Honestly, if you’ve got a high-end TV that’s correctly setup for Dolby Vision, you probably won’t see much difference either way.

There are differing opinions on the Match Content feature. By default, with Match Content = Off, the ATV4K is essentially converting all video content to the selected format - in your case 4K Dolby Vision. This puts the ATV4K’s substantial chip to good use (involves some serious math), and by most accounts the ATV4K does a good job of it. If you turn Match Content on for dynamic range and frame rate, the ATV4K passes the video along as it was encoded, and your TV will switch modes to render the video at the encoded frame rate and dynamic range. I believe the scaling from old SD and HD resolutions to UHD/4K also passes to the TV with Match Content turned on.

Some complain that their TV doesn’t look good with the ATV4K doing the work or they like to see the “HDR” or “Dolby Vision” mode change banners at the start of each program encoded as such (instead of just once when they switch on the ATV4K :-). Others complain of a “soap opera effect” when the ATV4K converts 24fps HD content to 60fps UHD/4K while also figuring how to artificially increase the dynamic color range to HDR10 or Dolby Vision. A downside of turning on Match Content is watching your TV’s screen momentarily go blank as it switches modes to adjust to every content change.

I used to have match content turned on for both Range and Frame Rate because I like to mess with settings, but when I reset my video settings on the TV (enabling the best it can do on the HDMI port connected to the ATV4K), and then reset the ATV4K to settle on 4K HDR10 for all content (my cheaper 2020 LG doesn’t do Dolby Vision :-), I realized that the ATV4K does a darn good job of video processing and that my TV was too slow and annoying anyway when switching modes all the time.

Feb 24, 2022 4:20 AM in response to bgmeek

After doing further research, I found that most “experts” recommended keeping the video set to 4K SDR and turning the match content settings on. The downsides are seeing the TV switch modes (as you pointed out) and seeing the ATV4K screen savers in SDR rather than Dolby Vision. But there were plenty of people who agreed with your recommendations too.

To see for myself, I changed my video settings to SDR and Match Content and found that it improved the video quality of content that I’ve been watching recently, recorded episodes of Yellowstone season 4 via the fuboTV app Cloud DVR. I’ll keep these settings for now. 

Thanks again for recommending connecting the ATV directly to my TV, since without that watching 4K on the ATV wasn’t even an option. 

Getting 4K to work on Apple TV 4K with Yamaha RX-V573 and LG TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.