Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my music when I upgraded to Catalina

Is there any way to get back the music that disappeared when I upgraded to Catalina? I am SO angry because I had copied my favorite CDs onto my Mac devices.

Posted on May 14, 2020 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 1:38 PM

Of all the issues I've had with iTunes, I've never lost music when upgrading.

Are you certain the music is gone or are you maybe the Music app thinks your files are in a different location than they really are? You can see where it thinks the library is in Music under Preferences:Files. (Presuming you're using the default music library location, the files would be in your home folder under Music/Music/Media.)

If this is something you're unsure about, you can trying Spotlight searching for a song and see if it can be found, if so that would lead you to where your music files are.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 1:38 PM in response to francesfromnew york

Of all the issues I've had with iTunes, I've never lost music when upgrading.

Are you certain the music is gone or are you maybe the Music app thinks your files are in a different location than they really are? You can see where it thinks the library is in Music under Preferences:Files. (Presuming you're using the default music library location, the files would be in your home folder under Music/Music/Media.)

If this is something you're unsure about, you can trying Spotlight searching for a song and see if it can be found, if so that would lead you to where your music files are.

May 24, 2020 1:09 PM in response to McSteve

I did contact Apple. A support person came online with me and couldn't help. I won't be buying any more Apple products. I think they have run their course and other manufacturers have probably surpassed them now. I used to love their products, but now they are more trouble than they are worth. My iPhone 7 is lousy - poor quality sound and always gets hot when I charge it (not in a case) and my new iPod and MacBook Pro are not as good as their predecessors. I hate Catalina and am not putting any more software upgrades on anything. My LG Tracfone works better than my brand new iPhone 7! I'm done.

I lost my music when I upgraded to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.