Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Problem

Hi,

I'm having display issues on my MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017. There are some horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen.

Apple has a screen replacement program for 2016 models but there plenty of 2017 models with same problem and apparently no solution. Apple should extend the Program to 2017 models.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 14, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 4:55 PM

The free display program you are referring to does not cover lines on the screen. The free display repair program covers a cable failure with the display's backlight. Laptops experiencing this issue either have no backlight or they get what is called a "stagelight" issue which is light & dark scallop areas at the bottom of the screen. See the details in this Apple article for the free backlight repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Fabionc

The free display program you are referring to does not cover lines on the screen. The free display repair program covers a cable failure with the display's backlight. Laptops experiencing this issue either have no backlight or they get what is called a "stagelight" issue which is light & dark scallop areas at the bottom of the screen. See the details in this Apple article for the free backlight repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

May 16, 2020 3:58 PM in response to sumeet225

The only units covered by the free display backlight program are listed in the article I linked. Apple did change the cable a bit on the later models so it is less likely to fail, but I'm sure it is still susceptible to wear. However, at this time you will need to pay for the repair even if it caused by the same issue. While your laptop may have similar symptoms, there are also other hardware things that could cause the problem.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.