Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported graphic in Pages can't be reduced enough in size

So for the last few weeks I've been using a music notation software called Finale. Finale allows you to select a portion of the page that can then be exported as a graphic image. There's a choice of formats, but I choose .jpeg.

I'm working in Pages (10.0) and up until yesterday, I could import a .jpeg of a staff of music via the image gallery and insert it into my document. The initial import is always too large to view the entire thing when first inserted, so I grab a corner handle and shrink the image borders until I see the entire graphic. No problem.

Then yesterday I import an image like usual, but it now strangely appears really large in the image gallery window, and when I grab the handles to shrink the image I'm no longer able to capture the entire image. I can reduce the size of the image to a certain point and then Pages no longer allows me to get any smaller. I've played with different formats of the image itself (TIFF, PNG, EPS) and played with the resolution of the image, all to no avail. I can reduce the size of the image file to 10kb, but that makes no difference. Is there a setting I accidentally changed??

Suggestions are appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 14, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 12:59 AM

HI theo'

Have you tried taking a screen shot of the image in Finale, then either inserting or pasting that into Pages and shrinking it there.

You may find screenshot images easier to reduce as necessary.

Screen shots of a portion of the screen are relatively easy:

Place the pointer at one corner of the screen area you want to capture (I usually choose top left).

Press shift-command-4

The pointer will change to a crosshair.

Refine the position if needed, then press and hold the (left) mouse button, and drag to the opposite corner, creating a selection rectangle to enclose the area you want included in the shot.

Release the mouse button.

You'll hear the click of an SLR type camera, and your screenshot will be saved to the Desktop as a PNG file with the name 'screenshot' followed by the date and time of the shutter click.

The file can be inserted into a Pages document using Insert > Choose, then navigating to the Desktop and selecting the file.

Changing "shift-command-4" to "shift-control-command-4" will place your screenshot on the clipboard. From there,it can be pasted directly onto a Pages page.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 12:59 AM in response to theoriemeister

HI theo'

Have you tried taking a screen shot of the image in Finale, then either inserting or pasting that into Pages and shrinking it there.

You may find screenshot images easier to reduce as necessary.

Screen shots of a portion of the screen are relatively easy:

Place the pointer at one corner of the screen area you want to capture (I usually choose top left).

Press shift-command-4

The pointer will change to a crosshair.

Refine the position if needed, then press and hold the (left) mouse button, and drag to the opposite corner, creating a selection rectangle to enclose the area you want included in the shot.

Release the mouse button.

You'll hear the click of an SLR type camera, and your screenshot will be saved to the Desktop as a PNG file with the name 'screenshot' followed by the date and time of the shutter click.

The file can be inserted into a Pages document using Insert > Choose, then navigating to the Desktop and selecting the file.

Changing "shift-command-4" to "shift-control-command-4" will place your screenshot on the clipboard. From there,it can be pasted directly onto a Pages page.

Regards,

Barry

Imported graphic in Pages can't be reduced enough in size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.