Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App - "Please Unlock" Message when trying to import from iPhone and iPad

Getting really frustrated with this.

Every time I connect my iPhone XS Max or iPad Pro 2018 and try to import my photos & videos into the Photos App I cant get passed the unlock your device message.

I've restarted all devices several times and reset location & privacy settings. This has made the Trust this device message pop up but again It doesn't progress past the unlock your device message, even though the iPhone and iPad are both unlocked.

Any support with this please

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 3:24 AM

It doesn't work for everyone else. There are heaps of people on here that seem to have the problem. I have anew 16in MacBook Pro, and a relatively new iPad Pro 12. iPad is unlocked and can be seen by finder, it will even sync in Finder. But Photos just says, 'Please unlock "Guy's iPad Pro 12".

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 3:24 AM in response to LD150

It doesn't work for everyone else. There are heaps of people on here that seem to have the problem. I have anew 16in MacBook Pro, and a relatively new iPad Pro 12. iPad is unlocked and can be seen by finder, it will even sync in Finder. But Photos just says, 'Please unlock "Guy's iPad Pro 12".

May 16, 2020 2:32 AM in response to LD150

Yep, even after unlocking the phone with Face ID or unlocking with passcode.

My first experience with Catalina and seems its full of bugs that need fixing. Google searches seem to bring up that others are having the same issue with no fix, just replies that that Catalina is full of bugs that we need fixes for. Bit disappointed as I've just upgraded to the latest MacBook and its took the shine of enjoying it.

May 16, 2020 2:56 AM in response to LD150

Only had the new MacBook for a few days, and trying to orgainse photos by importing them from the iPhone and iPad into Photos. I've now managed to get the iPhone to import after several restarts and clearing the privacy settings a couple times.

But Photos won't let the iPad import, just stuck on the unlock your iPad screen even though it's trusted and unlocked. I can see it in Finder with no issues and can sync it there. Just the Photos app.

I have managed to sync all photos onto my iPhone using Finder but even after 12 hours of it completing it still shows syncing in the Photos app on the iPhone. From googling this others have said its a bug that needs fixing still. Guess its just luck, seems some have no issues and some do.

Photos App - "Please Unlock" Message when trying to import from iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.