Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iMac with Time Machine (Apple apps and documents only)

I want to restore my iMac and set up all my applications from scratch but use Time Machine backups to put back my three user accounts and their documents/settings (not apps). My questions:

• Will I lose my iTunes library if I do this?
  • Will Mail have my email accounts & personal folders?
  • Will Safari have my saved bookmarks?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Software Overview:

System Version: macOS 10.14.6 (18G4032)

Kernel Version: Darwin 18.7.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 8:12 AM

RossAWaddell wrote:

• I want to restore my iMac and set up all my applications from scratch but use Time Machine backups to put back my three user accounts and their documents/settings (not apps).

Use Migration Assistant to copy all of your documents, apps, user accounts, and settings to a new Mac from another computer.

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

individual files can be picked out if necessary—Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 8:12 AM in response to RossAWaddell

RossAWaddell wrote:

• I want to restore my iMac and set up all my applications from scratch but use Time Machine backups to put back my three user accounts and their documents/settings (not apps).

Use Migration Assistant to copy all of your documents, apps, user accounts, and settings to a new Mac from another computer.

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

individual files can be picked out if necessary—Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/restore-files-mh11422/mac

Restoring iMac with Time Machine (Apple apps and documents only)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.