Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences just gone

I am trying to set up my old MacBook (Os x 10.6.8) for my daughter just for fun. I am trying to access system Preferences but nothing happens... It's just not there. I have seen other discussions to go through finder-hone-library-preferences to trash and or re run the system Preferences file, but what everyone says to use is just not there. I cannot find the original disc for the MacBook to do it that way.

Is there any way to reinstall something so system preferences is once again there?

MacBook

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 10:00 AM

See if you can get it to appear in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Is there any way to reinstall something so system preferences is once again there?

Not without that Mac's original discs, which you cannot find, or a retail Snow Leopard Installation DVD, which Apple no longer sells.

Aftermarket sources for that disc exist but caveat emptor as always.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 10:00 AM in response to Sewdrawteagrow

See if you can get it to appear in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

Not without that Mac's original discs, which you cannot find, or a retail Snow Leopard Installation DVD, which Apple no longer sells.

Aftermarket sources for that disc exist but caveat emptor as always.

System Preferences just gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.