Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my MacBook Air keyboard not working

I bought a Macbook Air (13 inch) today. In first 6-7 hours it worked perfect, I transferred things from my old laptop,, instal some apps and even write a doc. no problems. After a notification, I upgraded the IOS. When I opened it up and entered my password, but when I logged in and tried to actually write the password the keyboard did not react.

I tried restarting the laptop, but it wouldn't help. if I try to write I need to press 5-10 times on a key, sometimes it works from the first time. If I want to write 'orange' my keyboard type for eg. 're' or 'one'.

besides that, the laptop works good. What should I do?

Help is much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:26 PM

You meant you updated the MacOS and not iOS. Just a slight correction.

See if you can Reset SMC and here is how to do that ➔ Reset SMC

If that does not take care of things then Reset NVRAM/PRAM and here is how to do that ➔ Reset NVRAM/PRAM

If none of the above take care of the issue then please contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 9:26 PM in response to Cristina024

You meant you updated the MacOS and not iOS. Just a slight correction.

See if you can Reset SMC and here is how to do that ➔ Reset SMC

If that does not take care of things then Reset NVRAM/PRAM and here is how to do that ➔ Reset NVRAM/PRAM

If none of the above take care of the issue then please contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

May 16, 2020 1:19 AM in response to Cristina024

Similar problem experienced here. I have had 1 - 0 all stop working at times, sometimes only a small range of numbers (adjacent, sequential - never randomly spaced keys). I managed to get the on-screen keyboard up so I could make due until I understood the problem.

It's frustrating that there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to when these keys are going to stop working, or which of the set will stop working.

On a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), running macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

my MacBook Air keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.