Keyboard not working on MacBook Air (M2) 2022

My Air is only a few weeks old and all of a sudden the keyboard stopped working. An external keyboard works (USB-C connection and bluetooth), but the internal keyboard is non-responsive except for the power button. I ran diagnostics and everything reports back okay. I went through the Apple suggestions - slow keys isn't checked, the correct keyboard input is selected, etc. Software is up today. Is the quality really suffered that much? First, my two year old MacBook Pro dies ((display went out and it was $$$ to fix it despite it being a clear displaygate problem -- all of the textbook symptoms were met) ) and now a few weeks old M2 Air is not working? Any suggestions on fixes other than trying to find an open slot in the Genius Bar? Disappointing to say the least. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:31 AM

my keyboard stopped working after 5 days ? its not working at all, JKLNMOP are not responsive and i freak out ?! what to do ??

Similar questions

51 replies

Nov 24, 2022 9:01 AM in response to thespigels

I had the same issue! I bought MacBook air m2 12 days ago! Today the keyboard stopped working, I reboot the system but still does not work, and right now I can't turn on my laptop because can not type through the keyboard. The external keyboard was working for a couple of hours, then it stopped working too. The engineer at the apple store take a look and said that its the manufacturer's problem, I told them I want to return it but they did not accept that. I asked for a replacement, but they did not agree with that too! They said they can fix it for free and that's because I have Apple care +. I don't know what to do, it's the worse experience ever! and also the worst support!

Nov 6, 2022 12:37 PM in response to thespigels

Hello thespigels,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, the keyboard on your MacBook Air M2 isn't working. We'd like to help!

Let's try the steps below:

"You may have accidentally set an option that changes how your keyboard operates.

• Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Accessibility  in the sidebar, then click Keyboard on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Slow Keys is turned off. If Slow Keys is on, you must press and hold a key longer than usual before it’s recognized.
  • Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, then click Pointer Control on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Mouse Keys is off.
  • Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Edit next to Input Sources on the right, then turn on “Show Input menu in menu bar.” Open the Input menu, then make sure the correct keyboard layout is selected."

If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses

If the keyboard is not responding after following the steps above then we recommend contacting Apple Support directly.

Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Nov 4, 2023 11:49 AM in response to thespigels

I have the same issue . I contacted apple and they would fix it for over $600 which was an estimate , they said it would cost more possibly. I was out of warranty by 9 days. This is poor on apple who use to right their wrongs. Apple should be replacing every MacBook Air 2022 M2 that has done this. This is not an isolated problem , this is on a larger scale . Apple fix the hardware and issue a recall

Jan 2, 2023 3:30 AM in response to thespigels

Same here. The keyboard just stops working after a period of use.

This happens at least once a day.

If I shut it down for 10 minutes and then restart it it normally works OK again.

I'm starting to think it's caused by temperature (this thing has no fan). I've started using it on a cool surface with the aircon going. The crashing seems to happen less often but it's still a daily event ;-/

Apple need to stop selling junk like this.

Nov 15, 2023 4:14 AM in response to thespigels

Hello! I’m really fan of apple products. So, my husband bought me a MacBook Air laptop for Christmas two years ago. The first year, I only used it occasionally. However, this year I am studying, then I started to use it frequently. It was working well for some months when the keyboard and the touch panel stopped working suddenly. The sistema continues running normally, but the keyboard turns the light off and not respond. I thought that it was an update because for some days it works well. I have been reading that this is happening to a lot of people. I took my computer to certificated place by apple in orden to fixe it . And , they didn’t find the problem. It’s appearing that the problem is related to the manufacturing. I’m really disappointed because it not a cheap computer. I hope that Apple take actions about this problem.

Nov 24, 2022 1:32 PM in response to Adidi94

so I just wiped out my Mac and boom it worked, so I think if you mess with the voice controls at all it might glitch it b/c mine kept turning on with voice activation, but I'm using it now- nobody could figure it out and I was going to send it to a repair apple person but fed ex messed up and put the wrong label and it just sat there and then came back to me still sealed with my seals lol, so I called and we decided to erase and start fresh just to see- b/c I couldn't input any passwords etc. also I got this one on amazon prime and have a return of jan 2023, where as apple is 14 days- So fingers crossed it truly was with the voice dictation program- if I mess with that part and it happens this baby is off to amazon prime - to $$ to deal with little glitches

so wipe out and redo, seriously mine was like abcdef... GHIJKLMNOP and numbers all worked. the senior apple helper guy-super nice

I just scrolled up and read the top post! lol

Dec 5, 2022 10:29 PM in response to dawngreg08

Hello, I want to thank you for the instructions. I had made some changes without realizing the effects, so your walking me through that was very helpful. I am in the middle of a move so I have a million things going on in my head right now. The computer is for my wife so I am trying to prepare it to take with me when I move. Your guidance was impeccable!

Dec 1, 2023 9:28 AM in response to thespigels

MacBook Air m2, 2022. Keyboard has suddenly stopped working. Tried all the solutions I could find on internet but nothing is working. This is really bad on part of apple. Bought such a costly laptop and it's useless in a year. mine is out of warranty and I don't want to spend a fortune again to get it fixed. Did anyone find any other solution?

Keyboard not working on MacBook Air (M2) 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.