Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime problems since Catalina update

I think several people have had this issue, but I haven't see a solution provided yet. Prior to updating to Catalina, I was able to routinely open .avi files in QuickTime Player. It would convert the file into a .mov, which was perfect for me to be able to quickly get my data videos into a more accessible format. Since updating to Catalina, QuickTime 10 gives the error "The document "blah" could not be opened. The file isn't compatible with QuickTime Player." Also, I have recently found that some old .mov files give the same error. Is there a fix or previous version of QT we can use to get around this? Or is the solution paying for full QT access or other software? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 10:06 PM

Users should have converted all their old multimedia files before upgrading to Catalina, if playback in Apple’s applications was wanted. This coming incompatibility has been announced even before Mojave (which was the originally envisioned 32-bit cut-off).

• You can use third party playback software.
  • You can use third party conversion software.
  • You can use a Mac with older OS to convert using QuickTime Player.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 10:06 PM in response to sparkerino

Users should have converted all their old multimedia files before upgrading to Catalina, if playback in Apple’s applications was wanted. This coming incompatibility has been announced even before Mojave (which was the originally envisioned 32-bit cut-off).

• You can use third party playback software.
  • You can use third party conversion software.
  • You can use a Mac with older OS to convert using QuickTime Player.

QuickTime problems since Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.