Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Save or Export QuickTime Video on Catalina 10.15.3

I am having a problem with QuickTime on Catalina 10.15.3. This is on a 16-inch Macbook Pro (2019). I recorded a Zoom video, which automatically used Quicktime on my computer. I made a copy of the video and edited it -- all in QuickTime -- and followed the app's own Help screen for how to save a video. Command-Save led to Export-As, and all seemed well. I even told it to export to the QuickTime player on iCloud, as the directions also said.

But then this error message popped up: "QuickTime Player can’t open movie. The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player."

I've tried this several times, and it's bizarre. This is a QuickTime Video, edited in QuickTime itself, and told to export to QuickTime Player on iCloud. What is going wrong? By the way, I also tried saving this elsewhere in iCloud, where I normally store Zoom videos. The same error message occurs. Help?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 4:04 PM

Hi Suzanne,

It seems like there's an error with a file you've exported and I want to help.

If you export to a different folder instead of iCloud, does the video play then?

Export movies to other file formats and resolutions using QuickTime Player on Mac - Apple Support

Have you tried sharing to the Photos app?

Share your movies from QuickTime Player on Mac - Apple Support

Try exporting the video again and let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Piano Teacher Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

It seems like there's an error with a file you've exported and I want to help.

If you export to a different folder instead of iCloud, does the video play then?

Export movies to other file formats and resolutions using QuickTime Player on Mac - Apple Support

Have you tried sharing to the Photos app?

Share your movies from QuickTime Player on Mac - Apple Support

Try exporting the video again and let me know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Can't Save or Export QuickTime Video on Catalina 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.