Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I check to see if my MacPro has a virus or malware on it?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 1:21 PM

6 replies

May 15, 2020 1:50 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I will not use malwarebytes.com as I had a bad experience with them. When I opted for a program that would monitor my IMAC on a continual basis when cost me $400.00, I tried to change my password I gave them to a different password that Malwarebytes did not have. I contacted the agent who wanted to know why I would change my password and told me to only contact them if I had any issues. I suspected they were also a scam. Recently I experienced a fraud issue or scam as a recorded message on my Phone from ATT. The person said my AT&T account had been deactivated. I did not verify anything except my address when the they told me I had placed an order for 2 new phones. When I refused to verify anything else, the person said AT&T would give me a $400.00 credit for being patient with them. I knew then it was a scam. I contacted AT&T fraud division after finding them online and told them about the call. AT&T deactivated my online access for 72 hours and I have reset my online access code. Now I have received 2 emails from AT&T saying I recently changed my password. I only changed it once so why 2 emails??? Have I been scammed again?? I need a malware software that isn't malware bytes.

May 15, 2020 2:04 PM in response to 37BJAKD

Whatever the problem was it isn’t malwarebytes. I personally know the developer of malwarebytes, who is an active high level participant in this forum. Malwarebytes does not charge $400. In fact there is no charge for the basic scanner, and $40 for a yearly subscription. It sounds like you were scammed by someone, but it wasn’t the developer of malwarebytes. But other than it there are no reliable products for Macs that will detect malware without seriously impacting the performance of your mac, and some of the most popular ones are malware themselves. At least 2 of them steal your personal data and sell it.

Addendum: I have been in Apple stores and seen the techs at the genius bar use malwarebytes.

And there is another option that isn’t specifically for malware, but will also find it: etrecheck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.