Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I throw away my older Apple TV? My much older Roku works with Apple TV but my Apple TV does NOT.

Are older Apple TV devices useless? I have three older Rokus that had no problem logging into Apple TV+ but my Apple TV will not accept my login. And yes I'm using an iPhone and getting the codes and trying 178 different ways and times. I'm pretty sick of Apple right now.

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 2:19 PM

older Apple TV device

Please be more specific. What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The Apple TV+ service is compatible with Apple TV (3rd generation or later).

Devices you can use with the Apple TV app and Apple TV+ - Apple Support

If two-factor authentication is giving you trouble, then that is a separate issue. The Apple TV (2nd and 3rd) generation are older than two-factor authentication. Because of that, an adjusted sign-in procedure may be needed. First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet). Then manually request a new verification code, and append that code to the password. This way you use those precious seconds effectively for just the code, before a time limit invalidates the code. This should be a one time thing, unless you reset settings.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 2:19 PM in response to David 5b0

older Apple TV device

Please be more specific. What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The Apple TV+ service is compatible with Apple TV (3rd generation or later).

Devices you can use with the Apple TV app and Apple TV+ - Apple Support

If two-factor authentication is giving you trouble, then that is a separate issue. The Apple TV (2nd and 3rd) generation are older than two-factor authentication. Because of that, an adjusted sign-in procedure may be needed. First enter the characters of your password (do not submit yet). Then manually request a new verification code, and append that code to the password. This way you use those precious seconds effectively for just the code, before a time limit invalidates the code. This should be a one time thing, unless you reset settings.

May 15, 2020 7:00 PM in response to Urquhart1244

To fully explain: I install technology for clients and own Chromecast, Amazon Fire, Roku, and Apple TV devices. I test these and smart TVs and use that experience to help clients. This Apple TV problem was my own house and I really wanted to get back to using this favorite little box. My iPhone 11 Pro casts to the Apple TV but not any of the other devices.

So, your quick and patient help is incredibly nice and super helpful.

Please have a wonderful weekend and thank you again.

Should I throw away my older Apple TV? My much older Roku works with Apple TV but my Apple TV does NOT.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.