Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SecurityAgent was unable to create requested mechanism builtin:unlock-keychain

My macOS has been crashing lately. A lot. At least once a week.

Usually, the screen freezes completely and barely an interaction is possible. I can move the mouse around, but get beachball periodically + some spins.

During the latest of these episodes, I get the following alert:

SecurityAgent was unable to create requested mechanism builtin:unlock-keychain.

After a hard restart, the machine is still running wild, loosing a per cent of battery every 1 or two minutes.

mds_stores is running the CPU high, while there are 20+ instances of mdworker_shared, each running a few per cent of CPU.

Meanwhile, the console is flooded with these:

IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady for transaction
IntelAccelerator previous NotReady transaction

And these:

Unentitled access by client 'AddressBookManag' (selector: accountsWithAccountType:handler:)
Unentitled access by client 'CallHistoryPlugi' (selector: accountsWithAccountType:handler:)

What is going on?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:38 PM

Hello ppseprus,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with some unexplained restarts and a SecurityAgent message. I'll be happy to do what I can to help.

If you start your Mac in safe mode, does the same issue happen? How to use safe mode on your Mac

It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does some system checks, and can sometimes resolve issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone. Test, restart normally and test again.

Have you made any changes, added or deleted any software or any external devices before this started?

Are you using any particular app when this happens?

Thanks!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 1:38 PM in response to ppseprus

Hello ppseprus,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with some unexplained restarts and a SecurityAgent message. I'll be happy to do what I can to help.

If you start your Mac in safe mode, does the same issue happen? How to use safe mode on your Mac

It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does some system checks, and can sometimes resolve issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone. Test, restart normally and test again.

Have you made any changes, added or deleted any software or any external devices before this started?

Are you using any particular app when this happens?

Thanks!

May 16, 2020 4:21 PM in response to ppseprus

Hey ppseprus,

Thanks for the thorough reply and details, we appreciate it!

I'm thinking we need to go basic troubleshooting steps next.

Boot up in macOS Recovery > Select 'Get Help Online' > Surf around the net or Apple Support pages with the Safari screen presented and see if any of those symptoms return. About macOS Recovery

If the issues still happen, we'll know there is more going on that the macOS, as recovery uses a different load of the macOS software.

If the issues do not happen, then exit that mode, and select to Reinstall macOS without erasing.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Make sure you have a current backup. Even though no data should be lost without erasing the drive, it's important to be prepared for something unforeseen. Back up your Mac

If you need any assistance, I'd recommend Contacting Apple Support. Also, if the issues happen while surfing in macOS recovery, as this may indicate a hardware issue.

Take care!

May 16, 2020 3:33 PM in response to chris_g1

Hey chris_g1,

Its not an unexplained restart. Its an unexplained freeze. CPU and GPU are running high and the machine is out of RAM.

After a while, I manually hit restart.

Read a bit about these and this might be multiple issues at the same time. Saw that people were experiencing similar situations but usually tied to some specific app (e.g. saw a lot of issues around TeamView, which I never had)

Before we jump into what I did so far and what I could still do, I just want to clarify: I do not have a steps to reproduce.

These things keep happening randomly, approx. once a week and they have been becoming more and more frequent in the past 1-2 years.

I tried the following things:

Part 1: Getting to Safe Mode

• I temporarily disabled my Firmware password to be able to run Safe Mode
  • When I could not run Safe Mode, I cleared PRAM, but still nothing
  • After a bit of reading, a hard drive issue seemed most logical given the number of mdwoker_shared running in the background
Verifying file system.
Volume could not be unmounted.
Using live mode.
Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the space manager free queue trees.
Checking the object map.
Checking volume.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
The volume XXXXXXX - Data was formatted by hfs_convert (748.21.6) and last modified by apfs_kext (1412.101.1).
Checking the object map.
Checking the snapshot metadata tree.
Checking the snapshot metadata.
Checking the extent ref tree.
Checking the fsroot tree.
error: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x13): nchildren (1) does not match drec count (0)
warning: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : found unexpected dstream associated with non-regular file
THIS ROW REPEATS A NUMBER OF TIMES
warning: found orphan dstream id object (id 1101481, refcnt 1)
THIS ROW REPEATS A NUMBER OF TIMES, WITH DIFFERENT ID
Too many warnings of this type generated; suppressing subsequent ones.
warning: apfs_fs_alloc_count is not valid (expected 53974746, actual 53974747)
Verifying allocated space.
Performing deferred repairs.
error: Unable to perform deferred repairs without full space verification
error: Try running fsck against the entire APFS container instead of a volume
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
  • Eventually, I was able to run First Aid successfully from Disk Utility under Recovery Mode, but Still no Safe Mode, and
  • mdworker_shared was still running 20+ times

Part 2: Apply Account Sync

• I decided to focus on the followings
error 09:45:24.132289+0200 accountsd "Cannot check access to a private account type: com.apple.account.AppleAccount"
fault 09:45:24.217084+0200 accountsd Unentitled access by client 'CallHistoryPlugi' (selector: accountsWithAccountType:handler:)
error 09:45:24.221987+0200 CallHistoryPluginHelper "Error returned from daemon: Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=9"error 09:45:24.496133+0200 accountsd "Client <private> is not allowed to access accounts of type com.apple.account.CardDAV."
  • A lot people reported similar issues with Time Machine or Mail, or with relation to other Apple account syncns
  • Under Preferences / Apple ID, I already selectively synced applications, but I have seen that with newer versions of macOS, some new features became enabled by default. I went ahead and disabled almost everything and now this error is not flooding the Console
  • Things seemed better, but when no application was running (except the Activity Monitor), CPU was still around 5% AND I do remember that a while back, this would not have happened. If I open up my Mac Book and no application is running, CPU was always well below 5%

May 16, 2020 3:33 PM in response to ppseprus

Could not fit into the 5000 chars....

Part 3: Problematic Application

• I found that there are some applications (newly installed or new version I updated to) that were using more CPU than before. After disabling / removing those, things got even better, but still, I see errors and faults on the Console

These are the errors and faults I still get:

error 00:25:44.472450+0200 accountsd "Cannot check access to a private account type: com.apple.account.CardDAV"
error 00:25:44.473057+0200 accountsd "Client <private> is not allowed to access accounts of type com.apple.account.CardDAV."
fault 00:25:44.473150+0200 accountsd Unentitled access by client 'AddressBookManag' (selector: accountsWithAccountType:handler:)

I don't even use Safari. I haven't even run it in the past month and I had 20+ restarts since I was investigating this. Still, I get these:

error 00:25:49.395553+0200 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Failed to set up new record zone: Error Domain=CKErrorDomain Code=20 "Request UUID: (null)"
error 00:25:49.395955+0200 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Failed to fetch Bookmarks zone subscription status due to missing zone: Error Domain=CKErrorDomain Code=20 "Request UUID: (null)"
error 00:25:49.396269+0200 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Fetching Bookmarks zone subscription status failed with error: <Error Domain=CKErrorDomain Code=20 "Request UUID: (null)">.
error 00:25:49.396430+0200 SafariBookmarksSyncAgent Saving Bookmarks zone subscription failed with error: <Error Domain=CKErrorDomain Code=20 "Request UUID: (null)">.

And these too:

fault 00:30:34.854348+0200 kernel IntelAccelerator driver returned kIOReturnNotReady for transaction [ID=12019, IOSurfaceID=13]
fault 00:30:34.859586+0200 kernel IntelAccelerator previous NotReady transaction [ID=12019, IOSurfaceID=13] sent. kr=0x0

Additionally, in the past year or so I also observed that some application no longer require my password for installs or updates. This might be completely unrelated though.

I feel like macOS quality and stability just generally degraded in the past years, but I'm very interested in any additional suggestions on the matter.

Kind regards,

Peter

SecurityAgent was unable to create requested mechanism builtin:unlock-keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.