Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Mac Pro 12.2.1 - crashes every couple hours / weird bugs

After upgrading to Monterey 12.2.1 my mac crashes on me every couple of hours. Each time for a different reason. Sometimes I'll open sys prefs and it crashes. Sometimes I'll open the browser.

Also weird bugs - eg touch ID not available on login, in fact I can't even go and configure it in sys prefs, the screen just shows it as disabled.

Are others experiencing this? How do I fix it? Can I roll back OS?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 9:39 PM

Eli the Mighty Said:

"Monterey Mac Pro 12.2.1 - crashes every couple hours / weird bugs: After upgrading to Monterey 12.2.1 my mac crashes on me every couple of hours. Each time for a different reason. Sometimes I'll open sys prefs and it crashes. Sometimes I'll open the browser.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The volume is apparently corrupt.  So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 9:39 PM in response to Eli the Mighty

Eli the Mighty Said:

"Monterey Mac Pro 12.2.1 - crashes every couple hours / weird bugs: After upgrading to Monterey 12.2.1 my mac crashes on me every couple of hours. Each time for a different reason. Sometimes I'll open sys prefs and it crashes. Sometimes I'll open the browser.[...]"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The volume is apparently corrupt.  So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Prior to the reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to back up your Mac with Time Machine, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything happen after the reinstall.

Mar 16, 2022 2:20 PM in response to duregger

Eli the Mighty Said:

"Monterey Mac Pro 12.2.1 - crashes every couple hours / weird bugs: I've done this (wiped the Mac and reinstalled OS) and am still experiencing the issues, random crashes, LG Display issues, and poor performance."

-------

Report to Apple:

Do Your Part: Provide Apple feedback on this. They won't get back to you directly, but the more they hear of an issue, then the more they'll know what to look for and what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Software/Frimware Update" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: That you came across this issue after installing an update. Also, provide the URL of this thread with the comments.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Mar 16, 2022 12:11 PM in response to duregger

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful. Anything after the words: "binary images" is not useful for this purpose.

Mar 16, 2022 12:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

————

Take look at your other reports. What you are trying to determine is whether there is a TREND.

Case A) There is a trend: This same panic occurs in each case, with the same extensions present, in the same BSD process. A trend can indicate corrupted software or a Hardware problem that can be tracked down and solved.

Case B) There is a decided NON-Trend. The panics occur "all over the Map" for different panic reasons and in different BSD processes, with different extensions present.

A Non-trend suggests you may have RAM memory problems. MacOS slightly randomizes the load point of key routines on each startup, as a hedge against fixed-address attacks. This causes a marginal memory cell to move into different routines each time your Mac starts up.

If the above is just "word-salad" to you, just ask and Readers can explain a bit more.

Monterey Mac Pro 12.2.1 - crashes every couple hours / weird bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.