Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2011 recovery issue

Hi I’m trying to factory reset my 2011 MacBook Air, but I can’t access the disk utility in Recovery mode. I shut down the MacBook, press alt/option + power and select the right option but can’t move forward from there, the other three options are working (time machine ect.) but not the disk utility

Posted on May 15, 2020 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 7:53 PM

Hello Danyella,

Your post stated that you were attempting to get into Recovery Mode however the key combination that you used OPTION + POWER is to Start up to ➔ Startup Manager, which allows you to choose other available startup disks or volumes. It is not a Recovery mode key combination.

Here is a link to some very good information regard Power Up key combination for your reference ➔ Mac Startup Key Combinations.

From the link above you will see that the Recovery mode Key Combination(s) is different. The recovery mode's various key combinations are listed here ➔ MacOS Recovery Modes. As you will see that Disk Utility can be used to erase the disk before a fresh installation of the MacOS. The Three Options are-

• Command-R
  • Option-Command-R
  • Shift-Option-Command-R

The functions of the above combinations are explained in the link above.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 7:53 PM in response to danyella276

Hello Danyella,

Your post stated that you were attempting to get into Recovery Mode however the key combination that you used OPTION + POWER is to Start up to ➔ Startup Manager, which allows you to choose other available startup disks or volumes. It is not a Recovery mode key combination.

Here is a link to some very good information regard Power Up key combination for your reference ➔ Mac Startup Key Combinations.

From the link above you will see that the Recovery mode Key Combination(s) is different. The recovery mode's various key combinations are listed here ➔ MacOS Recovery Modes. As you will see that Disk Utility can be used to erase the disk before a fresh installation of the MacOS. The Three Options are-

• Command-R
  • Option-Command-R
  • Shift-Option-Command-R

The functions of the above combinations are explained in the link above.

Axel F.

MacBook Air 2011 recovery issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.