Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock/delete a locked file

Hi. I have a locked music file on my desktop. It was recently created and moved from a USB stick to my MacBook Pro (although it says created in 2017 in the info). My computer won’t let me delete the file. The ‘locked’ box is greyed out and I can’t see a padlock icon in the ‘Get Info’ box to unlock this function. I’m using Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4).

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 6:43 PM

3 replies

May 16, 2020 3:33 PM in response to MelbsMacBook

Hello MelbsMacBook and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having an issue getting rid of what is ostensibly a music file on your desktop.

Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

As the info for the file in the Get Info window is all blank, it would indicate the high likelihood that the data in the file is corrupt.

There is an additional keyboard combination that is not included in the article above that may help.

If you click (not double-click) the file on the desktop and then hit Command + Option + Delete, you'll see a confirmation that you wish to immediately delete the file, bypassing the Trash. Click Delete and the file should be deleted.

Cheers.

May 16, 2020 4:21 PM in response to MelbsMacBook

MelbsMacBook Said:

"How to unlock/delete a locked file: Hi. I have a locked music file on my desktop. It was recently created and moved from a USB stick to my MacBook Pro (although it says created in 2017 in the info). My computer won’t let me delete the file. The ‘locked’ box is greyed out and I can’t see a padlock icon in the ‘Get Info’ box to unlock this function. I’m using Mac OS Catalina (10.15.4)."

-------

Some Thoughts...

• Boot into Safe Mode (Hold Down “shift” upon boot), in which case, unnecessary items are placed aside, and damaged macOS system files are fixed.

• Remove Security Software, as it may be getting in the way here due to security settings - use the uninstaller from the developer's site. Getting it elsewhere may result in Malware/Spyware installations.

• Create a New Administrator.

Seeing if you can perform this deletion in a newly-created Administrator account. Once deleted, log back into this account, deleting the administrator you just created. You would have to set up file sharing between the accounts in order to delete it. Use cut and paste to place it on the new user's desk top. From there, delete the file.. Go Here: Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support

• Read/Write Errors:

Your hard drive may have become damaged. So, run Fist Aid. You Would:

1. Booy: into Recovery Mode: (into Recovery Mode: (hold down: [command+R] upon boot)
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: Your Hard Drive
  4. Click" "First Aid" button

May 16, 2020 4:28 PM in response to MelbsMacBook

MelbsMacBook Said:

"How to unlock/delete a locked file:[...] My computer won’t let me delete the file.[...]"

-------

If my above reply does not solve this...

Try the Ultimate Solution: Reinstall the macOS Anew

Perform the following in the order provided:

I. If it Applies: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then...

II. Reinstall the macOS Anew:

1. Boot: into Recovery Mode.
  2. Open: Disk Utilities
  3. Delete: the partition
  4. Reinstall: the macOS

Go Here for More: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Once Installed Anew...

III. Reinstall All the Software:

1. Use Migration Assistant to move Apps a Files back in.
  2. Ask developers for new software keys - but contact the developers only --- none other --- or you may end up with malware and spyware installed.

How to unlock/delete a locked file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.