Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone storage summary show that System Storage and "Other" take up 10GB combined?

My iPhone has a standard storage capacity of 16GB. When I open my iPhone Storage settings, it shows me that System Settings and "Other" take up a combined 10 GB of space!! How can I delete/reduce the amount of storage these systems take up on my phone?

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on May 15, 2020 9:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 5:17 AM

• Other: Non-removable mobile assets, like Siri voices, fonts, dictionaries, non-removable logs and caches, Spotlight index, and system data, such as Keychain and CloudKit Database. Cached files can't be deleted by the system.
  • System: Space taken by the operating system. This can vary based on your device and model.

About cached files in "Other"

Finder and iTunes categorize cached music, videos, and photos as Other instead of actual songs, videos, or photos. Cached files are created when you stream or view content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your device so you can quickly access it again.

Your device automatically removes cached files and temporary files when your device needs more space.

If storage on your device differs from what you see in Finder or iTunes

Since Finder and iTunes categorize cached files as Other, reported usage for Music or Videos might differ. To view usage on your device, go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage.

If you want to delete the cached files from your device

Your device automatically deletes cached files and temporary files when it needs more space. You don't need to delete them yourself.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 5:17 AM in response to Ayush_Tripathi

• Other: Non-removable mobile assets, like Siri voices, fonts, dictionaries, non-removable logs and caches, Spotlight index, and system data, such as Keychain and CloudKit Database. Cached files can't be deleted by the system.
  • System: Space taken by the operating system. This can vary based on your device and model.

About cached files in "Other"

Finder and iTunes categorize cached music, videos, and photos as Other instead of actual songs, videos, or photos. Cached files are created when you stream or view content like music, videos, and photos. When you stream music or video, that content is stored as cached files on your device so you can quickly access it again.

Your device automatically removes cached files and temporary files when your device needs more space.

If storage on your device differs from what you see in Finder or iTunes

Since Finder and iTunes categorize cached files as Other, reported usage for Music or Videos might differ. To view usage on your device, go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage.

If you want to delete the cached files from your device

Your device automatically deletes cached files and temporary files when it needs more space. You don't need to delete them yourself.

Jun 25, 2020 1:27 AM in response to SravanKrA

I have the same problem, but what I found strange is how I’m I having 52 GB in “ Other System Data “ in my phone. I deleted all pictures and apps from my phone and It still full. This is annoying. If you guys are doing this to make people buy more iCloud storage we got it. I can’t do nothing with my phone now. What’s the point of having it.

Jul 22, 2020 8:34 AM in response to nzollman

In short --> IGNORE, if you are not convinced, Restart the device. You will see that Others Storage will reduce but total storage will remain same.

Watch the demo in the GIF below made on my iPhone 6 iOS 12.4.7

In short --> IGNORE, if you are not convinced, Restart the device. You will see that Others Storage will reduce but total storage will remain same.

You may watch the same GIF in the form of Video on YouTube --> Others Storage consuming lot of space on an iPhone

Jul 9, 2020 4:49 PM in response to Clos1881

whoops, hit post by accident without finishing..

If the forced restart does not help (which it usually doesn't) then your next shot at it from my experience is backing up your phone, resetting to factory settings, then restoring from that backup. A bit of a process, but chances of reducing 'other' storage is high.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Jul 25, 2020 8:36 PM in response to Ayush_Tripathi

The only way I find to solve this problem.

1. Backup your iPhone on a Mac or PC
  2. Turn off Find My iPhone and Erase All Content and Settings
  3. Restore iPhone from Mac or PC

Signing off my Apple ID, iCloud, or turning off my phone did nothing to help.

Ignore it? Some apps I can't even open without sufficient storage.

At lease, I did this once to clean up my iPad. I don't have to do it again for quite a while.

Now I had the same problem with my iPhone and did the same thing.

(Before)

(After)

Problem solved.

Yes, it's very annoying.

May 30, 2020 2:00 AM in response to Ayush_Tripathi

First, regular values for both System and Other are 5-7 GB. You can clean them for a short time, but they'll come back shortly. Second, iOS doesn't manage it that well as guys in Apple think.

Regular System eaters above 7 GB are iCloud sync that got stuck and iOS update. For iCloud, leave device charging overnight with a good Wi-Fi and without battery saver mode. For iOS update -- update iOS :)

Regular Other eaters -- logs, cache from FB/Netflix/messengers/Safari cache. Sync the phone with iTunes to clear logs and if won't help: encrypted iTunes backup > factory reset > restore the backup (cache is not included in the backup so it will be wiped).

Jul 9, 2020 5:06 PM in response to Danv3

one thing that is possible is that when you delete photos, they actually go into a 'Recently Deleted' album. Maybe they pull that from the 'Photos' classification and it gets represented at 'other'?

If you removed 100s of photos, you could go into that album and delete everything. Or better yet, if you are running iOS 13 and go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage, one of the recommendations might show exactly what I'm talking about and tell you the size of the Recently Deleted album. You can delete it from this point too. Give your phone a few minutes and maybe a restart. See if that helps free up some storage.

Jul 28, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Danv3

It doesn't look like they intend to do that. On July 12, 2020, I received something about a class action lawsuit filed due to the storage issues. I've removed so much of the stuff that is supposed to be a benefit of having an iPhone in the first place. And the "other" storage is still over 50% of the total storage and has impacted the performance of my phone. Seems like they'd just rather pay lawsuits than actually address the issue.

Aug 20, 2020 4:59 PM in response to Andria8

The only solution I could find that actually worked to clear the "other" cache was to do a hard reset of my phone. Clear everything and do the setup all over again. And it's been a HUGE pain in the butt. Not everything was backed up well and weeks later I am still trying to fix my contacts and some of the applications. I wish all of you luck with this one....

Why does my iPhone storage summary show that System Storage and "Other" take up 10GB combined?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.