Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resolving Apple Pencil Issue when Showing 3% Charge Consistently

I'm not an experienced member, but I've had two occurrences with my Apple Pencil (1st gen used with 7th gen iPad) being temperamental. I came across so many community posts where people were having the same issue and it was either unresolved or had to be replaced. I admit I probably would have took it to Apple to be assessed myself if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic. So, I just wanted to share the stages of what worked/happened this time (the worst of the two occurrences). The first occurrence (around 7 months ago) was largely my own fault, I'd left it depleted for around 3 weeks, it wasn't charging via the iPad connection, but was fixed by plugging it into a computer via the adapter. This time I'd last used it a week ago without problems and had charged it twice this week via the adapter to avoid a flat battery. However, despite having charged it for the second time in a week for at least an hour, the battery went to 3% instantly as soon as I disconnected the pencil. Here's what did and didn't work:

1) My first instinct was that maybe something went wrong with the USB adapter I use to convert to thunderbolt 3, so I disconnected it and reconnected it and watched the battery via the iPad. It was charging at normal speed, so I let it get to 87% then I unplugged it to see what would happen, it instantly went back to 3%. I tried plugging it into the iPad directly but it didn't change.

2) To reset the connection I clicked 'forget this device' under Bluetooth settings and tried to re-pair the pencil. However, the iPad didn't seem to be registering that it was plugged in directly. No pair option came up and no devices were appearing in the Bluetooth settings. I left it directly plugged in for 15 minutes and nothing changed. I tried plugging it back into the adapter for 15 minutes, then back into the iPad, nothing. I restarted the iPad, but it still wouldn't pair.

3) I done a hard reset as a last resort (holding down power and home buttons until Apple logo appeared) and it finally registered and asked me to pair the device. I thought it was problem solved, but then the pencil went down to 0% after pairing.

4) I left the pencil plugged into the iPad but it stayed on 0%. I plugged it back in to the adapter and it went back up to 3%. I was worried it wasn't working because it took a very long time to move up from 3% (which was strange because before, despite the issue, the charge was at normal speed). The charge was extremely slow, it took an hour to go from 0% to 8% charged but it seems to be actually holding a charge now (note that this extremely slow charge happened with incident 1, and subsequent charges were back to normal speeds so I'm hoping the same will happen here).

I know it's not really normal for something that was working a week ago to be acting up despite having been plugged into a computer twice in that week. However, with lockdown/pandemic risks and work demands the only real choice was to troubleshoot (otherwise I'd definitely be going in to Apple to have it checked) and thankfully it seems to have worked. I hope this proves useful for anyone else who might end up in the same situation. It's also worth noting that my iPad needed an update which was going to be step 5 if 4 failed, but I imagine that still could have played a part.

Posted on May 15, 2020 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 11:23 PM

Hello,

If Apple Pencil’s battery sits depleted for an extended amount of time then it will essentially ruin the battery preventing it from ever holding a charge which makes the Apple Pencil useless. Apple Pencil has a 1 year warranty (when purchased from Apple) which means that Apple will most likely replace it if the battery has failed.

Please refer to the following Apple Support document on how to troubleshoot Apple Pencil.

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 11:23 PM in response to ravenclaw94

Hello,

If Apple Pencil’s battery sits depleted for an extended amount of time then it will essentially ruin the battery preventing it from ever holding a charge which makes the Apple Pencil useless. Apple Pencil has a 1 year warranty (when purchased from Apple) which means that Apple will most likely replace it if the battery has failed.

Please refer to the following Apple Support document on how to troubleshoot Apple Pencil.

Use Apple Pencil with your iPad or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Contact AppleCare

May 15, 2020 11:50 PM in response to ravenclaw94

There is NO fix for this.

You cannot store Apple Pencils for any prolonged period of time and NOT keep them charged up to some level.

If your Apple Pencil/s sat around unused or unopened and not kept charged up for more than a few weeks, or so, OR

LONGER, then the battery in your Apple Pencil may have failed and is dead and you will have to purchase another

brand new Apple Pencil or get, if still under warranty, a free replacement Pencil from Apple.

Sorry.

And it looks like some things about the Apple Pencil have NOT changed in the new version 2 model, either.

FYI and something Apple will never, EVER divulge to it potential iPad Pro/Apple Pencil customers/users unless the potential customer/user is smart enough to ask about,

Due to the “always on and active/standby” nature of the Apple Pencil and, also, due to its very tiny rechargeable Li-

ion battery ( smaller than the eraser head on a REAL wooden pencil ), the Apple Pencil needs to be constantly charged up to some significant charge level ALL THE TIME, even when not using the Pencil for prolonged periods of time.

The Apple Pencil needs to be kept charged to a minimum of 5-10% all the time.

If the Apple Pencil battery is allowed to drain down to 0% and allowed to stay in that flat condition for more than a few weeks, or so, OR EVEN LONGER, that very tiny little Li-ion battery is too small to keep at a 0% state for a long period of time and it will fail and the Apple Pencil will be dead and you may have to “pop” for another $99 Apple Pencil, once again!

Apple only has a one-year warranty on any Apple accessory items.

You need to keep your Apple Pencil charged all the time, even if it is only to 10%-15% charge. It must keep some charge level in that tiny Lithium-ion battery at all times!

One last ditch thing you can try is to plug the Pencil's Lightning connector into the iPad.

Then, try a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

See if the Pencil starts charging then, when it reaches a sufficient charge, like over 15%, or so, or more, disconnect the Pencil and reconnect it to see if it Bluetooth pairs.

If it does pair, try using it.

If still no joy, your Pencil is definitely dead.

Sorry and Best of Luck to You!

May 16, 2020 10:09 AM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for your detailed reply. I do agree with all of those points regarding pencils left depleted for weeks. Please note that in my personal case the pencil was not left depleted, it was being regularly charged, and used approximately once a week. I've seen other people post online with the same issue. I did manage to resolve the problem which is why I've posted here, in the hope that it will prove useful to others in the specific position of the 3% alert despite having kept up with charging. It's good to know that the battery issue is covered by warranty if things persist though!

Resolving Apple Pencil Issue when Showing 3% Charge Consistently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.