Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there is a problem with this windows installer package.

My Windows PC updated today and I was unable to open iTunes. So I uninstalled iTunes and attempted to reinstall, I have had a variey of error messages and I have followed them.

I have finally managed to download iTunes but now when I try to install the error message is There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

One suggestion was to run the Apple Software updater - this gives the error message that it is only valid for products that are currently installed.

The next thing I tried was the suggestion that I install QuickTime Player - this I have done but iTunes will still not install.

When I initially tried to download iTunes it was trying to make me download via the Microsoft Store but when I clicked "get" a dialogue box opened and I had two choices open link or cancel - when I select to open link nothing happens.

I am beyond being frustrated and I do not know what else to try to resolve this.

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 16, 2020 1:16 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 16, 2020 5:44 PM in response to mumrules

Hi mumrules,

I understand you are attempting to install iTunes for Windows, however are unable to complete the installation. I definitely understand your frustration, especially when it feels as though things should just work.

You can download the latest version of iTunes for Windows under the 'Windows' section here: iTunes. Here is a direct link: Download iTunes for Windows no (64-bit).

Hopefully this works, otherwise report back for further guidance!

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

May 17, 2020 7:06 AM in response to mumrules

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. When reinstalling right click on the downloaded setup file and use run as administrator. It may also help to temporarily disable any non-Microsoft anti-virus.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, or want to revert to an older version if the current one won't work properly for you at the moment. Links to the most recent builds are now at the bottom of the page.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

May 16, 2020 8:08 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden

i have downloaded iTunes about 5 times over the last 2 days and every new download gives the same message when I try to install.

I am starting to think that there is either a file missing on my pc or the iTunes download is missing something or contains something that is not compatiable with my pc.

The Apple Software Updater will not run and gives the message There is a problem with this shortcut. This action is only valid for products that are installed.

Whenever I try to install iTunes it manages to install all the software except iTunes. I get the Apple Application Support, Bonjour but not iTunes.

Thanks

May 17, 2020 4:37 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi

Unfortunately that has not worked either.

It doesn't seem to make any difference which way I try to install the download it always fails and gives the message there is a problem with this windows installer package. I have installed and uninstalled and deleted folders so many times now, I have spent all weekend working on this and the error message has not changed.

All these problems started because I went to back up my phone two days ago and I got the error message that the iTunes.exe files couldn't be found.

I don't know if it is an issue with the most windows update but all the other software installs except the iTunes program.

Are there any other suggestions besides going out and buying a new pc?

Thanks

May 19, 2020 4:35 PM in response to BaronKrause

I am running Windows 10 but when I try to download iTunes from the Windows Store a pop up window shows that says MIcrosoft.com wants to open this application, at this point I have two options one is Open Microsoft Srote and the other is cancel. Then when I click to Open Microsoft Store the window closes and nothing else happens.

I don't really want to have to buy a new pc or take mine in somewhere to get this fixed. I have never had this probelm before with downloading iTunes and installing it.

there is a problem with this windows installer package.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.