Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air 2012 crash with glitching screen

Hi all, I turn myself to you as a last resort for an annoying issue with my Mid-2012 Macbook Air. Recently my Macbook started crashing at random intervals. The symptoms are always nearly the same: computer freezes, screen has these glitching squares and the computer restarts after a few seconds. To me this seems like a crash, but since it happened both under small and high workloads, regardless of the application I was using, I started to keep a log. I was not able to find any way to predict when the computer would crash. The battery level didn’t make a difference, the workload neither, the angle of the screen (I though maybe a bad connection with the GPU) made no difference either. 

Extra remarks: The crashes seem to happen at shorter intervals as time goes by. Sometimes there is a distortion of the audio as the crash occurs (a loud crackling noise), but this happens only one out of ten times.

Because I want to continue using my MacBook, which for the rest functions absolutely fine and fits my needs, I was hoping to get some insight from you. Thank you in advance!

Things I tried so far: 

• I replaced the battery with a fresh one two weeks ago, this made no difference to the problem.
  • I reset the PRAM and SMC, no difference
  • I updated the computer, no difference
  • I have Windows installed on my PC and the crashes happen there, too.
  • Wiped the computer clean and reinstalled everything using Time Machine, no difference.

Attached you will find a picture of the screen after a crash.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 3:01 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 16, 2020 3:12 AM in response to DieterDt

I regret to inform you that the issue appears to be a failing logic board. It is a hardware issue. You have confirmed that by conducting all the software related troubleshooting procedures. I recommend that you have it examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open up or you can contact ➔ Apple Support in the mean time.

Axel F.

Macbook Air 2012 crash with glitching screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.