Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to add multiple copies of the same file into one folder ?

I can only add 4 files at a time...

"Finder" makes me do extra work by clicking: Apply to All > Keep Both.

*If, for example, I try to add 5 files simultaneously, the only option "Finder" gives me, is to Replace the files.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 16, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 8:54 AM

No, not without selecting Use Both on the dialog that results from name space filename collision, and appending a generation number to the filename for each occurrence of the same original filename.

In a case-insensitive filesystem, ABC.txt and abc.txt share the same name space. When you get the Finder dialog that offers to use both, cancel, or replace, the use both will append a generation number to the filename.

If I copy IMG_0321.JPG into a folder, and then repeat this copy, when I choose Keep Both, then I have two identical, content files in the folder:

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0321 2.JPG

and on a third copy and selecting Keep Both, the IMG_0321 3.JPG joins its predecessors. There is no alternative to this Finder naming convention when depositing duplicate filenames into the same folder.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 8:54 AM in response to SHTALLES

No, not without selecting Use Both on the dialog that results from name space filename collision, and appending a generation number to the filename for each occurrence of the same original filename.

In a case-insensitive filesystem, ABC.txt and abc.txt share the same name space. When you get the Finder dialog that offers to use both, cancel, or replace, the use both will append a generation number to the filename.

If I copy IMG_0321.JPG into a folder, and then repeat this copy, when I choose Keep Both, then I have two identical, content files in the folder:

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0321 2.JPG

and on a third copy and selecting Keep Both, the IMG_0321 3.JPG joins its predecessors. There is no alternative to this Finder naming convention when depositing duplicate filenames into the same folder.

Is there a way to add multiple copies of the same file into one folder ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.