Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete message contact suggestion if it does not have an "I"

I have old SMS contacts that pop up as suggested names for new messages on my Mac. These names do not have the "I" like iMessage does. Therefore I cannot figure out how to delete them. Can these suggestions be deleted permanently, if so, how?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 11:24 AM

11 replies

May 17, 2020 9:58 AM in response to BDAqua

The unwanted “suggestion” is on my Mac only, not my iPhone, and they are synch’d. It does not happen in mail or contacts. The person’s name is Hank and he is from a company I no longer work it and I no desire of further contact with him. I know 2 other Hank’s and don’t want to send a message to the wrong Hank by error, hence my desire to get rid of the suggestion. He is using an Android, so it’s SMS, not iMessage, hence no “I”. See the 2 attached 2 screen shots.  

May 17, 2020 12:25 PM in response to BDAqua

I don't know what "sat Siri found... ?" is, but when I type the start of the name in the To: box it gives me 3 choices, one of which is Hank Paul, he is the one I want to delete. There is nothing after his name and it's an SMS, not an iMessage text. If I click on his name all the conversations I had with him come up and I can't delete them either. This only happens on my Mac, not my synch'd iPhone. I deleted his contact info months ago. The 2 screen shots will give you a better picture of the issue. what I'dd like to do is delete the entire conversation chain and his name as a suggestion. Here is an oddball think that i just noticed. On the Mac I click spotlight and type in Hank Paul and it comes up as a Contact card. I double like on that and it opens with the other Hank's Contact card. Clearly it's getting the 2 Hank's combined somehow..Maybe I should call Apple about this?

May 17, 2020 12:41 PM in response to BDAqua

No, it doesn't. It just shows it as a choice. It doesn't say anything about Siri. I just did a complete search on the Mac and found several references to Hank Paul in the Library. I trashed each of them, and got the warnings about not being able to access anything. I then open Messages and typed in his name, he is still there, but now I've been able to delete the entire transcription of messages from him. That's 1/2 the battle, now I've got to figure out how to get rid of the suggestion.

delete message contact suggestion if it does not have an "I"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.