Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook

On my Macbook Pro (NOT iPhone), one contact's gray initials keep showing up at the top of imessages on my computer even when it is not a new message, (they don't on synced iPhone). How do I delete on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2023 3:11 PM

Hi Lassie01,

You can check the steps here to make sure a past conversation isn't pinned: Pin a conversation in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't resolve it, does the contact continue to show if you delete the conversation thread? For help with deleting a conversation thread on your Mac, test the steps below found in the article here: Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac

"Delete a conversation

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, search for a conversation.
  2. Do any of the following to delete a conversation:
    • Delete an empty conversation: Move the pointer over an empty conversation, then click the Close button .
    • Delete a conversation: Select a conversation, Control-click, then choose Delete. Or, if you have a trackpad or a Magic Mouse, you can also swipe left with two fingers on the conversation in the sidebar, then click the Delete button ."

It's important to note, when using macOS Ventura, if you delete the conversation this would not delete the messages fully, unless also deleted from Recently Deleted. This means you'd be able to recover the message thread using: Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2023 3:11 PM in response to Lassie01

Hi Lassie01,

You can check the steps here to make sure a past conversation isn't pinned: Pin a conversation in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't resolve it, does the contact continue to show if you delete the conversation thread? For help with deleting a conversation thread on your Mac, test the steps below found in the article here: Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac

"Delete a conversation

1. In the Messages app  on your Mac, search for a conversation.
  2. Do any of the following to delete a conversation:
    • Delete an empty conversation: Move the pointer over an empty conversation, then click the Close button .
    • Delete a conversation: Select a conversation, Control-click, then choose Delete. Or, if you have a trackpad or a Magic Mouse, you can also swipe left with two fingers on the conversation in the sidebar, then click the Delete button ."

It's important to note, when using macOS Ventura, if you delete the conversation this would not delete the messages fully, unless also deleted from Recently Deleted. This means you'd be able to recover the message thread using: Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.