You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IT IS NORMAL FOR AN IPHONE 11 TO GET TOO HOT?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on May 16, 2020 3:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 2:27 AM

But it's not even being used, all apps are closed and yet its still almost too hot to hold........I'm not happy with it at all.

Surely, the phone should get so hot you can't hold it?

Never happened with my 8

15 replies

Jun 27, 2020 9:50 AM in response to Cinzia4

If you haven't already, try these two troubleshooting methods. Perform a Restore only if a Restart doesn't solve your issue. After a Restore, expect the phone to work extra hard for a while, but then it should stabilize. If you use a case, you might try taking it off, too - cases make summer ambient temperatures worse.

Restart instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Restore instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

Jul 24, 2020 4:01 PM in response to Rysz

This reply is a misleading, nonsense rebuttal. Quite normal? How about more context? Okay, here ya go. I am on my SECOND replacement for my new iPhone11. It is not "officially overheating" in Apple terms, as in, the warning is not coming up on the screen saying it needs to cool down. However, this is my 4th iPhone, 11th Apple device. My iPhones 4, 5, and 7 never had this issue whatsoever, but I did once see that warning on my 7 when I was sitting outside on a sunny day in San Francisco.

Before calling support to request ANOTHER replacement device (second replacement,) I did my own testing across the two 11's and my iPhone7. I set my original iPhone11 - purchased online, picked up in store, next to my first replacement iPhone11 (express shipped to me,) next to my trusty iphone7. I downloaded the same 12 apps. I opened all the apps on all the phones and made sure all three device had up to date software . I opened a Safari and went online to run streaming video on all three and switched off between streaming videos on a Safari page and YouTube videos. Within less than - literally - 11 minutes BOTH iPhone11s were way too hot to handle. No one wants a new phone that gets this hot. Regardless of a "warning." None of the devices were plugged in and charging. All of the devices were connected to wifi with strong connections. The iPhone7 remained COOL, completely. All three devices were set on a bamboo mat on top of a cool granite (stone) countertop, inside in 68 degrees Fahrenheit and kept playing for over 20 minutes.

It is staggering how bad the iPhone11 is with this lack of temperature control. Within 11 minutes it was clear to me that I can't hold my phone for long, so there goes using my phone while waiting for a flight, while waiting in line, while wanting to chat or Skype or FaceTime or do research. Apple should reconsider their return policy if they want happy customers. I am absolutely furious I paid full price for a device of this quality. Anyone else experiencing this temperature control issue where your iPhone11 is too hot to handle, especially along the right side, across the bottom front and entire backside, should be their own advocate and call support and raise heck. This is complete bs, plain and simply, the iPhone11 does not work properly. Considering THREE iPhone11s have the same issue, clearly Apple screwed up here - and consumers are the only ones paying for it.

Jul 24, 2020 4:08 PM in response to IRISERAMOS

Unfortunately, YES. I've now had three iPhone11s in hand and tested all three side by side with a 7 and one other 11. This forum won't get you anywhere, I recommend calling and reporting your issue to support until you reach a Senior Advisor. I received two replacement devices in an attempt to resolve the temperature control issue and none of the devices perform adequately. Too hot to handle. Not worth the money or time spent on the phone with support. Be sure to report this to service and be your own advocate.

Aug 22, 2020 6:05 PM in response to IRISERAMOS

Whenever I start playing PUBG mobile game on my iPhone 11 it’s get too much if it’s hot that’s alright but it’s get too much hot even my brightness be full but screen light from inside goes down and I don’t really be able to the screen properly the brightness be full but the screen light goes down so can you help me for that please and sometime I don’t even play game I use it for 3 to 4 mins and it gets hot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.