Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro display flickering while watching videos for more than 40 mins hours

I have late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar ->

I am having the problem with my display starts flickering after one hour of watching videos or playing games and as I stop stop the playback of video this problem stops.

see this is how my screens flicker while watching videos only.and once I switch back to another task it gets back to normal.

is this a display issue or a cpu issue ,

anyone having same issue ??

anyone found any solutions for the same please reply :( .

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:47 PM

5 replies

May 16, 2020 10:53 PM in response to shailesh128

Have you performed the basic software related troubleshooting steps? See below-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode. Safe Mode clears some cache files that are not needed for normal operation. Sign out of Safe Mode and then turn off your computer. Turn your computer back on and sign in normally. If after logging in normally does not solve the issue then-
  4. Of Course the other option is to boot in recovery mode and then re-install the MacOS. Before you get to this point, ensure that you have tried out the first 3 steps listed above.

Axel F.

May 16, 2020 11:20 PM in response to shailesh128

You mean whether it is a Display Panel issue or a GPU issue. One way to determine that is to connect your MacBook Pro to an external monitor and see if the issue repeats on that monitor. If it does then you know that it is a GPU issue. If the issue is not repeated on the external monitor then it may be your MacBook Pro's display panel.

Axel F.

May 17, 2020 7:49 AM in response to Axel Foley

I don't have any another display to connect with right now

some stat I want to share like while watching videos I view activity monitor and its show that cpu is 35 % using because of the playback , is it okay to use 35% of cpu while watching YouTube videos only on a MBP ?

on the other hand I am facing a issue with my display also there are some black area in my bottom display

I am very much terrified what should I do , all the care centres are closed any help for the experts will be very grateful

May 17, 2020 8:32 AM in response to shailesh128

35% of CPU usage to display audio and video is normal when you do a spot check in the activity monitor. Please confirm that you have used the Recovery Mode and re-installed the MacOS. Correct? If YES and that did not solve the issue.

At this point, I recommend that you contact ➔ Apple Support and start from there. They will need run diagnostics on our MacBook to move further.

Axel F.

Macbook pro display flickering while watching videos for more than 40 mins hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.