You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore WhatsApp Data

I’m experiencing some difficulties restoring my WhatsApp messages via ICloud.

Yesterday, I reinstalled WhatsApp and followed the restore process via ICloud; there were several group chats that appeared, although these were empty with no messages contained within. All relevant data appears to have been deleted, including individual chats.

is there anyway I can restore previous data and get the messages back? Or restore previous ICloud backups?

Posted on May 17, 2020 11:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 11:36 AM

Thanks, that’s actually the process I followed which led to this problem.

I’ve been in touch with WhatsApp Support and was advised this is an ICloud issue.

I don’t know whether restoring an ICloud backup would be feasible with this situation, as it’s specifically WhatsApp that I’m targeting for restoring data/undoing backups.

This truly does suck.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 11:36 AM in response to zinacef

Thanks, that’s actually the process I followed which led to this problem.

I’ve been in touch with WhatsApp Support and was advised this is an ICloud issue.

I don’t know whether restoring an ICloud backup would be feasible with this situation, as it’s specifically WhatsApp that I’m targeting for restoring data/undoing backups.

This truly does suck.

May 17, 2020 12:04 PM in response to zinacef

I tried this earlier today, and the same chats which were present yesterday after reinstalling, were viewable today.

After reinstalling WhatsApp yesterday, it’s likely the original backup was overwritten, so it’s a matter of restoring that previous backup. Clearly something went wrong with the restoring process yesterday, as only partial data is available.

Jun 11, 2020 6:13 AM in response to ViolaViola1

Hi I’ve experienced the same problem a few months ago. My iPhone got stolen and I tried to restore all the info from iCloud-all came back except WhatsApp messages (just like happened to you). Now I bought a new iPhone. When I restored manually from iCloud WhatsApp came back but with only the messages from the phone I was currently using. I reset the phone again and when it asked me what iCloud backup to use I chose the old one-from before the phone was stolen but since the WhatsApp version then was old it wouldn’t download buttttt then I downloaded the new version of WhatsApp and all my messages from the old phone came up tadaaa. I immediately backed it up. So-to sum it up-make sure you use the right iCloud backup and second of all, make sure the version of WhatsApp is the same on both phones. Good luck!!!

Restore WhatsApp Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.