Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k

My Apple TV 4K is connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR receiver and the receiver is connected via HDMI to a Sony TV. When turn off the TV while listening to Pandora on Apple TV, the audio stops. Why doesn't it keep playing? Any suggestions how to fix this?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:52 PM

The Apple TV set-top box is designed to be used with a screen. Without an active screen, it may think it also doesn’t need to stay on. When you turn off (set to standby) the TV screen, HDMI may send a signal to the other connected devices about its status. The Apple TV box may respond to it by also going into sleep mode, or pause the stream.

The solution is to keep the screen on,

or to use a receiver with built-in access to the audio streaming service of your choice.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2020 2:52 PM in response to vacuumbeach

The Apple TV set-top box is designed to be used with a screen. Without an active screen, it may think it also doesn’t need to stay on. When you turn off (set to standby) the TV screen, HDMI may send a signal to the other connected devices about its status. The Apple TV box may respond to it by also going into sleep mode, or pause the stream.

The solution is to keep the screen on,

or to use a receiver with built-in access to the audio streaming service of your choice.

May 17, 2020 5:27 PM in response to vacuumbeach

Thank you to both vazandrew and urquhart1244 for your responses. That definitely explains my issue.

I think of my AppleTV as a streaming device (even though TV is in the name) and am surprised that Apple didn’t anticipate that a monitor isn’t needed once the music has been selected. Restricting its use to only when a monitor is on seems odd.

May 17, 2020 5:53 PM in response to vacuumbeach

Not a problem. It is a streaming device, however it is strictly for connecting a to a TV and displaying content from various services through that medium (hence the name). You may want to just stream music, without a TV, but that is not what it was designed to do. It would apply to all such devices, and is not something that Apple themselves are restricting. If you want to bypass the TV then you need to stream directly through a receiver.

Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.