Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way making my MacBook Pro not charge from an external monitor?

I have 2019 16" MacBook Pro which is permanently plugged into an LG UltraFine display.

I understand that having it permanently plugged into power will reduce battery life but I don't want to lose the use of my monitor while letting the battery discharge occasionally.

Is there a way to tell the MacBook to only output to the monitor and not charge from it?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 18, 2020 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 5:33 PM

Hello AndyGrayson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're wondering if there's a way to prevent your MacBook Pro from charging through the connected LG UltraFine display when the Mac is disconnected from its charger. I would be happy to help provide more information to consider. 

The lithium battery in your Mac is designed to count a full charge cycle only when it has discharged 100% of the batteries total capacity. If it works best for you, leaving the Mac permanently connected to a charger will not negatively impact the battery life with the way charge cycles are designed to work. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the following resources: 

If the Mac is connected to another device capable of charging it using a Thunderbolt 3 port, it is expected behavior for the Mac to charge from that device when not plugged in to an AC adapter. There is not a way to disable this behavior: 

Charge your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple Support

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 5:33 PM in response to AndyGrayson

Hello AndyGrayson,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're wondering if there's a way to prevent your MacBook Pro from charging through the connected LG UltraFine display when the Mac is disconnected from its charger. I would be happy to help provide more information to consider. 

The lithium battery in your Mac is designed to count a full charge cycle only when it has discharged 100% of the batteries total capacity. If it works best for you, leaving the Mac permanently connected to a charger will not negatively impact the battery life with the way charge cycles are designed to work. You can learn more about this feature by visiting the following resources: 

If the Mac is connected to another device capable of charging it using a Thunderbolt 3 port, it is expected behavior for the Mac to charge from that device when not plugged in to an AC adapter. There is not a way to disable this behavior: 

Charge your MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 - Apple Support

Take care.

Is there any way making my MacBook Pro not charge from an external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.