Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aspect ratio does not match while using identical monitors

Problem

I have two of the exact same external monitors connected to my Macbook Pro, via two different thunderbolt 3 ports. When both monitors are connected, only one displays the correct aspect ratio for full screen viewing, the other has black bars surrounding the image. I can get both monitors to display full-screen aspect ratios by connecting each independently to my Mac, but cannot get them BOTH to work at the same time. Any suggestions?

Mac Info

Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports

Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Monitor Info

Brand: Sceptre

Model: E248W-19203R

Active Screen Size: 23.8” Diagonal Viewable

Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Refresh Rate: 75Hz

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Response Time: 16 ms

Color Depth: 16.7M (6-bit Hi-FRC)

Contrast Ratio: 3,000:1

Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 1,000,000:1

Brightness: (cd/m²) 250 cd/m2

Viewing Angle: 178˚ (Horizontal) / 178˚ (Vertical)

Backlight Life: 50,000+ Hours

URL: https://www.sceptre.com/Monitors/LED-Monitor/E248W-19203R-24-LED-Monitor-product1050category12category16.html

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 18, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:07 AM

Please check connecting both monitors in Mirrored displays, setting your monitor native resolution.

The GPU only needs to do calculations for the 1 area, and the amount of memory required is only for the 1 image.

Once you have the result of above check and if it is clear. When you extend two monitors the GPU need to do calculation for 3 area, and the amount of memory required is for 3 images. This puts to a place where the limit of GPU can handle or support to maximum resolution.

I did a check with specs of your macbook pro and found out the below info:

• Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors (24bit)
  • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (32bit)

Now comparing to your scenario of usage where the default refresh rate of your monitor is 75Hz.

I guess your MacBook pro has done the best by adjusting one of the monitor resolution.

See if you can try setting the resolution for connected display, below link to guide you.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchl86d72b76/10.14/mac/10.14

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 1:07 AM in response to mdandrad

Please check connecting both monitors in Mirrored displays, setting your monitor native resolution.

The GPU only needs to do calculations for the 1 area, and the amount of memory required is only for the 1 image.

Once you have the result of above check and if it is clear. When you extend two monitors the GPU need to do calculation for 3 area, and the amount of memory required is for 3 images. This puts to a place where the limit of GPU can handle or support to maximum resolution.

I did a check with specs of your macbook pro and found out the below info:

• Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors (24bit)
  • Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (32bit)

Now comparing to your scenario of usage where the default refresh rate of your monitor is 75Hz.

I guess your MacBook pro has done the best by adjusting one of the monitor resolution.

See if you can try setting the resolution for connected display, below link to guide you.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchl86d72b76/10.14/mac/10.14

Jun 5, 2020 12:49 PM in response to Sharhari

Hi Sharhari,

Please reference the below screenshots for the items you requested. The second screenshot illustrates the issue.

I have tried interchanging the cables, dongles, and ports and found that I am able to get one (not both) of each monitor to display the correct aspect ratio (i.e. I can get monitor 1 to display correctly on any port with any cable or dongle; I can get monitor 2 to display correctly using the same combinations of ports, cables, and dongles; but I cannot get both of them to display correctly at the same time).

Jun 5, 2020 6:51 AM in response to mdandrade

If possible can you post a picture of your screens. To have an idea what exactly the issue look like.

Also post the result of the following command from the terminal: "system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType"

Above command should give us the info of GPU and its output to displays.

Please check if there is an issue with the cable adapter by connecting both cables individually to the same monitor.

Jun 5, 2020 11:01 PM in response to mdandrade

Now with the two identical monitor. Only difference is the adapter firmware version.

We can isolate on which adapter we have this issue. Just unplug one off the monitor and run the command to identify which one is on ver: 0.00 & ver: 7.55.

Then take appropriate action to resolve the firmware issue. You may need to contact the manufacture on how to get it updated/fixed.

Aspect ratio does not match while using identical monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.