Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DRFHUD is using the most memory of any process shown in activity monitor. Three times that of

DRFHUD is using the most memory of any process shown in activity monitor. Three times that of 'finder' it's always the biggest memory consumer on my mac. What to do?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 18, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 7:07 AM

Hello Mike Hitt,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I know it's important to make sure your Mac runs smoothly, and I'm happy to help. It sounds like you're seeing the DRFHUD process is using a significant amount of memory on your Mac.

What you see in Activity Monitor will vary depending on usage, so this type of thing could be normal. To clarify, are you having an issue with anything else on your Mac, like performance? As a good general reference, this has some helpful Activity Monitor information: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

If you're experiencing performance issues along with the memory usage in Activity Monitor, booting into safe mode might be a good start. Knowing whether the issue occurs in safe mode or not helps to rule out certain software causes: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Best wishes.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 7:07 AM in response to Mike Hitt

Hello Mike Hitt,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I know it's important to make sure your Mac runs smoothly, and I'm happy to help. It sounds like you're seeing the DRFHUD process is using a significant amount of memory on your Mac.

What you see in Activity Monitor will vary depending on usage, so this type of thing could be normal. To clarify, are you having an issue with anything else on your Mac, like performance? As a good general reference, this has some helpful Activity Monitor information: See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

If you're experiencing performance issues along with the memory usage in Activity Monitor, booting into safe mode might be a good start. Knowing whether the issue occurs in safe mode or not helps to rule out certain software causes: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Best wishes.

May 19, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Teddy_B

Thank you! Yes, I see spinning beach balls several times daily. Sometimes the program has to be 'force' quit and at other times I just need to wait a minute while the program finishes its' activity. I've used Macs for 40 years and the spinning beach ball, in the early models, was frequently seen and typically the harbinger of the 'sad mac'. I'll check out the resources that you kindly shared the links for. I did reinstall Catalina, but it made no difference for this problem. I haven't used safe mode on this problem, but I will and in the past it has sometimes worked some magic.

I appreciate it! Mike

DRFHUD is using the most memory of any process shown in activity monitor. Three times that of

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.