Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to Unplug Mouse and Keyboard Every Time OS X Boots

Hi Apple Community,

Whenever I restart my 2018 Mac mini, it doesn't recognize any inputs from my mouse and keyboard until I unplug and re-plug them both. I'm fairly certain they are receiving power, as the LEDs on the mouse light up. What could be causing this issue? To give a complete picture, I have the keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB hub, and I'm using a Logitech G600 mouse and a Leopold mechanical keyboard - the mouse does have some other problems with OS X. I also have an external GPU attached, but I don't see how that would be related.

Thanks!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 18, 2020 11:41 AM

10 replies

May 19, 2020 5:49 PM in response to clever username

I tried a few more permutations of mouse and keyboard plugging and un-plugging, as well as software uninstallation and found that

• It doesn't matter if you unplug and replug the mouse or keyboard, just doing it to one will allow the Mac to detect both
  • No difference with L G Hub or Scroll Reverse installed or uninstalled

It seems like it could be a faulty USB controller, is there anyway to check that?

Also see this EtreCheck, I have actually enabled Full Disk access on this log.

P.S. Is there a way to edit previous comments? I don't like double posting, it doesn't convey my message as clearly.

May 19, 2020 1:16 PM in response to clever username

Uncovering a problem like this typically involves going through a series of steps. The first thing I suggest is to do a safe mode restart. You restart your computer while holding down the shift key at startup. Then I would run the disk utility app. It is not complicated. It's located in the Utilities sub folder in the Applications folder. In its window, under your Apple HDD icon, click on Container Disk 1 to select it. Then go up to the top and select First Aid. It may take a couple of minutes to run. Expand its window so you can see what it's doing. If there are errors, you will see them reported. At the end It should say it's ok. If not, or if you see errors reported, then rerun the app several times until you (hopefully) get an ok result. Then you can restart and see what happens. Sometimes, merely restarting solves a multitude of problems.

If the problems are still there, I would download and run the free EtreCheck app. Be sure to allow full access. It provides a report of your system which someone here can review and hopefully diagnose the problem. Then you can respond here and post the report below at the paper clip (I think).

If you have any antivirus apps installed - remove them. They are not needed in a Mac and they WILL cause any number of problems. They should be fully uninstalled using the vendor's uninstaller, found on their web site.

If the problem still persists, there are additional steps that can be recommended. I hope this helps. Good luck.

May 19, 2020 5:18 PM in response to Ronasara

Thanks for the detailed list of steps to take. I booted into safe mode (which I find odd that that was possible to achieve while pressing down shift, since my keyboard isn't being detected) and ran the Disk First Aid utility, which yielded and "OK" result. I then rebooted into normal mode and made sure to take extra note of what was happening before unplugging my mouse, and importantly, before unplugging my keyboard - what I found was that unplugging and re-plugging the mouse made the both the mouse and keyboard work, which makes me want to narrow this down to the mouse. Maybe the fancy Logitech "L G HUB" software is causing an issue. In fact, the L G HUB software causes other problems during normal runtime, primarily the app crashing and the only way to properly restart it is to force close all instances using activity monitor. I have tried re-installing, but that hasn't solved any issues. I'll try completely uninstalling and see what happens when I boot with a different mouse too. Don't worry, no antivirus here. Also I have attached the EtreCheck report.

May 19, 2020 8:08 AM in response to clever username

Sorry you are having this problem. First, when did this problem start? Was anything changed or added, or updated? Can you borrow another mouse and keyboard to test with? If they work, that would indicate that the problem is with your peripherals. Last, have you tried restarting in safe mode and running Disk Utility. At this point we don't have much information to work with.

May 19, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Ronasara

If I'm remember correctly (which I might not be), the issue with the mouse started when I replaced my old generic mouse with a Logitech G6600, and the issue with the keyboard started more recently, around when I updated to Catalina. I have tried reverting back to the old mouse and the issue persists, and to double check I just tried using a different mouse and keyboard plugged directly into the Mac and am still having the issue.

I haven't tried Disk Utility, are there any guides you'd recommend for that? Also I'm running 10.15.4.

May 19, 2020 5:43 PM in response to clever username

I don't know what the Logitech L G HUB software is supposed to offer, but I also suspect that may be your problem. As far as I know, no software should be needed to use any mouse. Yes, I agree. I would completely remove that software. Go to the Logitech web site and look for an uninstaller there. Otherwise, maybe just dragging it into the trash may be sufficient. Give it a try and let's see what happens.

Need to Unplug Mouse and Keyboard Every Time OS X Boots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.