Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Rename

Can the file rename with sequnecing be comw part of the Photos application in general and not limited to the export function?

Posted on May 18, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2020 2:11 PM

Not easily because the library is based on a SQL database and all changes to the library and images are saved in the database. When an image is exported the changes are applied to the original file, metadata added to the file and the file is renamed if the user sets it up to do so.

Additionally, the files are renamed (to an impossible to comprehend system) as shown in this screenshot to facilitate a more efficient syncing to the iCloud Library:

The oringal file name is saved in the database. Therefore the only way to get the original file back with it's original file name or renamed is to export.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2020 2:11 PM in response to John Ruppert

Not easily because the library is based on a SQL database and all changes to the library and images are saved in the database. When an image is exported the changes are applied to the original file, metadata added to the file and the file is renamed if the user sets it up to do so.

Additionally, the files are renamed (to an impossible to comprehend system) as shown in this screenshot to facilitate a more efficient syncing to the iCloud Library:

The oringal file name is saved in the database. Therefore the only way to get the original file back with it's original file name or renamed is to export.

May 18, 2020 3:54 PM in response to John Ruppert

There is an AppleScript that can batch retitle photos with selected text and a padded sequential number:

Batch Change Title to Text w/Padded Sequential Numbers

The script compiled as an application can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications. Other scripts can be found at Thematic Index to Photos for Mac related … - Apple Community

Then when you export you'll get the new file name.

May 18, 2020 3:47 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the quick answer!

But I have some follow up if you have the time to look at it.

Then the batch change feature in iPhoto used a different naming method or was it renaming the title vice the file name?

I would be happy with the batch change feature returned if I could do the rename (Title if that is easier) then do my exports with every thing already changed.

I am still looking for a way to give the photo a unique name (file or title) with a sequential number that keeps them ordered in and outside of Photos.

That way, I can export and not have to rename if the contents of the album already have a descriptive name and are sequenced properly.

The file rename forces me to export the photos in sequential ordered, remove the Photos from the album then reimport the named and ordered files if I want the export and the album in Photos to keep the same sequential order, and I do.

Is there a way to do what I am asking?

It is still unclear to me why the batch change feature from iPhotos didn't make the cut with the move to Photos.

Thanks again,

Jake

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

File Rename

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.