Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change encrypted dmg password

I created a brand new dmg file with encrypted password. However, I couldn't find a way to change the password. If the drive is mount, the "Change Password" option is grey out. If the drive is unmount, the "Change Password" option is also grey out.

The only time when the "Change Password" option is not grey out and works is when I highlight an existing hard drive which is encrypted. However, I don't need to change my hard drive's encrypted password. I need to change the password of my encrypted dmg files.

In order to enable a dmg file to change password, do I need to create dmg file with some specific option(s)? I do not wish to create a new dmg file each time I need to change the password. I change the password often.

macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Thank you!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 18, 2020 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 12:20 AM

Please see the below link which has a terminal command to perform change password, which could be used in macOS Catalina as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7288515?answerId=29456832022#29456832022

The command is "hdiutil chpass abc.dmg" where abc.dmg would be your target dmg file which is encrypted.

Hope this solves your problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 12:20 AM in response to account12

Please see the below link which has a terminal command to perform change password, which could be used in macOS Catalina as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7288515?answerId=29456832022#29456832022

The command is "hdiutil chpass abc.dmg" where abc.dmg would be your target dmg file which is encrypted.

Hope this solves your problem.

How to change encrypted dmg password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.