Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to show hidden files in finder

Hello,

please, how can I view hidden files and folders on Mac?

I know that I can show all hidden files using Terminal, but I want to show them using a keyboard shortcut.

I tried the shortcut Cmd + Shift + . but instead this shortcut shows or hides the status bar.

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 19, 2020 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 8:06 AM

PrDuch Said:

How to show hidden files in finder: Hello, please, how can I view hidden files and folders on Mac? I know that I can show all hidden files using Terminal, but I want to show them using a keyboard shortcut. I tried the shortcut Cmd + Shift + . but instead this shortcut shows or hides the status bar.

———-

If that does Not Work:

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

The keys just may not be working as they should. And resetting both should fix that.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Prduch

PrDuch Said:

How to show hidden files in finder: Hello, please, how can I view hidden files and folders on Mac? I know that I can show all hidden files using Terminal, but I want to show them using a keyboard shortcut. I tried the shortcut Cmd + Shift + . but instead this shortcut shows or hides the status bar.

———-

If that does Not Work:

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac.

The keys just may not be working as they should. And resetting both should fix that.

Jun 7, 2020 9:03 AM in response to sumaise

sumaise Said:

"How to show hidden files in finder: This worked. Thanks. What would have happened to shortcut? Shortcut worked before updating to latest Catalina updated. "

-------

You are welcome. It probably just went missing somewhere. So, reinstall the macOS - it should be fine from there. But, be certain you reside the items, that way you won't mess-up and system files (which is why they are hidden).

Reinstall the Mac OS, but Back Up First:

Nothing would be lost. It’s just that missing system files and corrupt settings, would be reinstalled and repaired, respectively.

How to:

1. Back Up the macOS:

First, Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Then....

2. Reinstall the MacOS:

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Boot holding: [Command + R], as mentioned in the link.

Jun 7, 2020 8:25 PM in response to crabpaws

crabpaws Said:

"I need help with the same question. I already reset NVRAM and SMC. I used Cmd + Shift +, which did reveal some files in [hard drive]/Applications, but files in [username]/Applications and [username]/Library/Internet Plug-Ins still remain hidden. [...]Still need to find these files, which are probably in [username]/Applications and [username]/Library/Internet Plug-Ins[...]"

-------

Locate these Plug-Ins:

Use Spotlight Search

1. [Hold Down: Command + Press: Spacebar]
  2. Type: ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
  3. Press: enter key
  4. View: what is found

Also, if Need Be - Relaunch the Finder:

Leave the plug-in window open while doing this:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Relaunch button

Screenshot:

Jun 7, 2020 1:21 AM in response to sumaise

sumaise Said:

"How to show hidden files in finder: Tried this method. But isn't working. When I try the shortcut nothing happens in finder."

-------

Try Using Terminal:

By Comparison: The only difference between the commands is using "true" vs. "false", to unhide vs. hide, files respectively.

1. Open Terminal. Either:

• Use Spotlight Search: [Hold Down: Command + Press: Spacebar] and type the word: terminal

Or...

• Go To: Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app

Then...

2. Perform these Commands, Pressing the enter Key Afterwards:

• To Unhide Use this Command:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true                      
  • To Hide Use this Command:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles false                     

May 19, 2020 6:26 AM in response to Prduch

I have switched between British English, German, Unicode HEX, and U.S. input sources — all responding to the ⇧⌘. shortcut and revealing, or hiding hidden items. The French input source will open the Finder Help menu with this shortcut.

This keyboard shortcut works directly on the Desktop without the need for an open Finder Window.

You haven't responded to dialabrain's question yet about input sources and keyboard remapping s/w.

Jun 7, 2020 7:20 PM in response to sumaise

I need help with the same question. I already reset NVRAM and SMC.

I used Cmd + Shift +, which did reveal some files in [hard drive]/Applications, but files in [username]/Applications and [username]/Library/Internet Plug-Ins still remain hidden.

I set this in Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true

Nothing new happened that I can tell.

Still need to find these files, which are probably in [username]/Applications and [username]/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Login Item: /Applications/Skitch 2.7.8/Skitch.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/J8RPQ294UB.com.skitch.SkitchHelp

er.app

Login Item: /Applications/Snagit.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/SnagitLaunchAtLogin.app

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/o1dbrowserplugin.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/nplastpass.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/CouponPrinterPluginMac1.0.0.7.plugin

How to show hidden files in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.