Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sale price for damaged Macbook Pro Retina

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch laptop (2015 model) which was dropped on the floor. The screen still works, but has cracks in it and the casing of the screen itself is bent, so the Macbook doesn't sit flat when closed.

I have considered repairing it, but have decided that selling it may be a better option. I have no idea what kind of price to ask for for it, and would really welcome any suggestions.

Posted on May 19, 2020 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 7:27 AM

Jamesphilly17 wrote:

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch laptop (2015 model) which was dropped on the floor. The screen still works, but has cracks in it and the casing of the screen itself is bent, so the Macbook doesn't sit flat when closed.

I have considered repairing it, but have decided that selling it may be a better option. I have no idea what kind of price to ask for for it, and would really welcome any suggestions.

Trade in when you buy a new product and we'll apply the value toward your purchase or recycle your device for free

Apple Trade In - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Jamesphilly17

Jamesphilly17 wrote:

Trade in when you buy a new product and we'll apply the value toward your purchase or recycle your device for free

Apple Trade In - Apple

May 19, 2020 7:18 AM in response to Jamesphilly17

Welcome!

Used Mac prices vary with country, and even from town to town within one region. We are your fellow end users and have no crystal ball that tells us your region (these forums are international, with millions of uses worldwide). You are asking the near-impossible of us.

In my area, working Mac products are harder to sell used due to lack of an Apple Authorized Service Provider. 40 miles north where there are two universities, they are quite easy to sell due to demand, volume of users, and close availability of service through the universities.

To see local pricing, look at craigslist ads for you area.

May 19, 2020 7:33 AM in response to Jamesphilly17

Most buyers want a Mac they can pull out of the box, set on the table, and get to work with NO additional effort.

If your does not do that, it dramatically reduces the pool of buyers. (if you were literally selling on eBay, you could picture the reduced demand translating to no bidding war and the price being reduced to something comparatively small).

The buyers for damaged MacBooks are folks who can fix them up (by combining the parts from three or four to get two working ones). Your buyers are NOT the general public.

So you could literally go the eBay route and be rid of it, or you could approach some MacBook fixer shops and see what they would pay. No one wants to take much of a risk. but if you can demonstrate it is working except for the display, that reduces the risk substantially.

Sale price for damaged Macbook Pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.