Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't open - "Safari Quit Unexpectedly" message

Hello, please be gentle with me, I'm far from an apple expert.

I've just restarted my macbook pro and safari won't open, showing a "Safari Quit Unexpectedly" message every time I try. Clicked for more details and lots of line of code appeared, which I'm afraid was a bit beyond my pay grade.

I've restarted a few times, with no joy. I'm writing this from Opera (which thank God I have!). Can anyone help?

Laptop is a 2017 13" macbook pro, running Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 19, 2020 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 10:01 AM

Try opening Safari with the shift key held down. If that works, try Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items.  Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

If you still have problems, are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2020 10:01 AM in response to dehill

Try opening Safari with the shift key held down. If that works, try Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items.  Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

If you still have problems, are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

May 26, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much Eric for your kind reply and help thus far. Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you, I have a young family and finding time is hard!

I've tried all the things you suggested (I'm typing this now on Opera, in safe mode) and no luck. To answer your questions specifically:

Opening Safari with shift key held: Same message telling me it quit unexpectedly.

No antivirus programs (I was under the impression I didn't need them on a mac?!) and no VPN.

I set up another administrator account and still go the same message.

I have started in safe mode and still get the same message so cannot try etrecheck.

Any more ideas?

Safari won't open - "Safari Quit Unexpectedly" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.