Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop the Apple Music App from launching every time I connect bluetooth headphones on OSX?

Every time I connect my Bose 700 headphones to my MacBook Pro (running Catalina 10.15.4), it automatically launches the apple music app and starts playing. It will also do this if I'm listening to a browser video and someone calls my phone, it will steal the headphone connection back and start playing Apple Music again. I don't see any option to disable this and it's very annoying!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 19, 2020 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 10:17 AM

It's still doing it. It did not happen in safe mode, and it did not happen in another user account. When I logged back into my account, at first, it was not happening anymore. Now, it's happening again. I also verified that it is not a startup item in my system prefs.

"Solved" was marked accidentally

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Teddy_B

It's still doing it. It did not happen in safe mode, and it did not happen in another user account. When I logged back into my account, at first, it was not happening anymore. Now, it's happening again. I also verified that it is not a startup item in my system prefs.

"Solved" was marked accidentally

May 20, 2020 6:19 AM in response to tecknojoe

Hello tecknojoe,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand that when connecting headphones to your Mac the Music app will automatically start playing. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. I'm happy to help!

Let's test connecting your headphones in Safe Mode to see if the Music App plays automatically in there as well.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Next, we can test to see if connecting your headphones in another user account has the same effect.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Lastly, we can take a look to see if Music is automatically logging in when you start-up your Mac and disable that to make sure it is not opened when connecting your phones. You will follow the "Add or remove automatic items".

Open items automatically when you log in on Mac

Please respond back if you continue to have any issues.

Have a great day!

May 21, 2020 11:32 AM in response to tecknojoe

Hello tecknojoe,

Thank you so much for your reply. We really appreciate!

Based on the results, I would recommend trying to reinstall macOS onto your device. Let's try using Command (⌘)-R in Step 1.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Please make sure to have a backup of all your information before performing a reinstall.

How to back up your Mac

Best regards!

How do I stop the Apple Music App from launching every time I connect bluetooth headphones on OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.