You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Google Chrome browser app keeps vanishing.

2020 MacBook Air 10.15.4

83 GB available on the HD.

Admin account

(if someone asked me this question, I'm not sure I'd believe it)

I download the app and installed it. Upon launch Chrome launches normally with my browsing history and such. I check applications and Google Chrome is listed there.

I set "Keep in Dock" option.

The next day, the icon is no longer in the dock and in Applications "Google Chrome" is gone. Searching in finder on the the HD shows no results for google chrome. The DMG is also gone.

This has happened twice.

I have just installed Google Chrome yet again. It opens normally. The info on Chrome in finder shows it was installed May first.

Finder search show google chrome and the two DMGs.

I copied the DMG to the desk top.

I will check in the test user if this happens again.

Could this be happening somehow when an Apple update is installed?

Is there another way to search for Chrome when it vanishes?

Anyone have an idea how this could happen?

I promise, there are no recreational pharmaceuticals involved!

Posted on May 19, 2020 10:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 11:30 AM

bradleydad wrote:

Any ideas on my question?

Not really. I've used Macs for a very long time and never had an app disappear. I suppose you could run Disk Utility > First Aid from Recovery Mode to make sure the drive has no corruption.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

The Google Chrome browser app keeps vanishing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.