Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Will Not Unlock iMac

My Apple Watch is AGAIN not unlocking my iMac consistently, and I have to keep re-typing my password, though I have everything set per the instructions. In fact, when accessing System Preferences I was able to access it by my iMac 'asking' my Apple Watch for permission, which I gave by double-clicking the bottom button. But try as I might, the iMac won't unlock from my Apple Watch automatically any more. What gives?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2020 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 11:27 AM

Same for me ever since they introduced the so-called Apple Watch unlock. It seemed to be working ok for quite awhile, but then some update has goofed it up again. I'm going to try shutting down and restarting both my iMac, my iPhone and my Apple Watch in the hopes that might work. It's a nuisance and a feature that still just seems not ready for prime time...

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 11:27 AM in response to BWB15

Same for me ever since they introduced the so-called Apple Watch unlock. It seemed to be working ok for quite awhile, but then some update has goofed it up again. I'm going to try shutting down and restarting both my iMac, my iPhone and my Apple Watch in the hopes that might work. It's a nuisance and a feature that still just seems not ready for prime time...

Jul 18, 2020 1:17 PM in response to Fred Thorne

I have the same problem. I have tried:

1. Restarting all devices (Mac, iPhone, and Watch)
  2. Turning bluetooth on all devices on and off
  3. Turning unlock feature in Mac Security and Privacy on and off and restarting Mac
  4. Going to iCloud site and making sure that all devices are logged into my iCloud account
  5. Disconnecting and reconnecteing my Magic Mouse and Keyboard to make sure that bluetooth was not a problem
  6. Ensuring that my iPhone and watch are synched

This problem seemed to happen with the last week's MacOS/iOS/WatchOS update. Before that everything "just worked."

Apple -- a little help here ..... please.

May 29, 2020 3:06 PM in response to Fred Thorne

My Apple Watch is AGAIN not unlocking my iMac consistently, and I have to keep re-typing my password, though I have everything set per the instructions. In fact, when accessing System Preferences I was able to access it by my iMac 'asking' my Apple Watch for permission, which I gave by double-clicking the bottom button. But try as I might, the iMac won't unlock from my Apple Watch automatically any more. What gives?

Jun 2, 2020 5:39 PM in response to BWB15

I am having the same problem with my apple watch 5 and mac mini after months of this feature working flawlessly. The problem of it not unlocking started up right after updating all my apple devices to the latest supplemental software releases. Imagine that. An update that breaks a feature. I have already turned the feature off and on. It worked! Once--and has failed to work again since. I've rebooted both mac and watch. I've turned bluetooth off on watch and back on.

Jul 18, 2020 3:27 PM in response to mjnarins

I've had this issue for several weeks. Yesterday, out of the blue, this unlock feature began working again! The only thing different that I can know for sure is that, due to an accidental swipe on my Apple Watch, I accidentally changed the watch face to one I had not used before and have not customized. Is it possible that certain watch faces or complications some how interfere with "unlock with Apple Watch?"

Apple Watch Will Not Unlock iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.