Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Analog video capture in 2020

I still capture video from analog tape. With Catalina, my workhorse Canopus AVDC 110 no longer works. So I got the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. That doesn't work either. Are there any affordable (under $300) analog-to-digital capture devices on the market that still work with current Macs? I'd rather not keep buying and returning them. I have a 2018 Mac mini, so ideally I'd like something that connects via Thunderbolt 3. (I haven't been able to find any, though.)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 19, 2020 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 3:10 AM

Yes. I discovered that it won’t function with Catalina. After a lot of research, it appears that the only two video capture devices that currently work are from VidBox and Elgato. I ordered the former and am keeping my fingers crossed.

12 replies

May 20, 2020 1:06 AM in response to Jay Ducharme

My advice is to install on a separate drive an older OS that still supports these devices.

It is only going to more difficult going forward.

But as long as you have a mac that can run High Sierra (or, say, El Capitan) you can simply boot to this system when needed.

Edit: A 2018 Mac cannot run El Capitan, of course. That was just an example. It can run High Sierra, which was the OS at the time it came out.

May 20, 2020 5:03 AM in response to Alchroma

Unfortunately, the model I have is the USB model. While Blackmagic claimed it would work with Macs, that's evidently not true with Catalina. When I got the USB model, I hadn't realized they had a Thunderbolt 2 version. I was thinking of getting that one, but then I read on some forums that the TB version had issues functioning on Macs that only had TB 3. So rather than go down that same path, I ordered the VidBox.

May 20, 2020 2:34 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Correct. The device wouldn't show up in any software, not even Blackmagic's own. Evidently, the drivers (which were the latest downloaded from Blackmagic's site) didn't make a difference. I've heard from different people that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't depending on your system. My device was the USB 3 version. Perhaps the Thunderbolt 2 version (for which I'd need an adapter cable) might work, but for how long? Since the Intensity was released in 2014, it could be reaching its end-of-life. The VidBox was just updated this year, so hopefully there won't be issues.

Analog video capture in 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.