Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive

I bought recently an IMac and I would like to purchase an external hard drive to back it up.

2 suggestions, if possible:

what brand would you recommend?

iMac has a storage of 1TB, shall I buy an hard drive with same capacity or more i.e. 2TB?

thank you all in advance.

Posted on May 20, 2020 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 6:30 AM

Any reputable brand will work (Just don't use/install any preloaded software on the drives. That usually isn't needed and sometimes causes performance problems).

If you are using TimeMachine the backup drive should be at least 2-3x as large as the drive being backed up so it can save a history of incremental changes rather than only the latest copy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 6:30 AM in response to JohnGiorgio

Any reputable brand will work (Just don't use/install any preloaded software on the drives. That usually isn't needed and sometimes causes performance problems).

If you are using TimeMachine the backup drive should be at least 2-3x as large as the drive being backed up so it can save a history of incremental changes rather than only the latest copy.

May 20, 2020 7:01 AM in response to JohnGiorgio

Most experienced users on these forums would recommend an OWC Mercury Elite Pro. These are available in a variety of capacities, and the general rule of thumb is 2-3 times the capacity of the drive(s) you will be backing up. For example:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T2.0/

If you are outside of the USA, their resellers and distributors are listed in OWC International Resellers

External hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.