Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro Mojave randomly crashes every day

Ever since the last security update (around mid-Feb 2020) my MacBook started crashing regularly - about once a day, at random. At first I thought this is Opera browser, because it got a major update at the same time, but later I ruled that out.

This is typical of the crashes: "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.128" - happens about 60% of the time, but there are other random reasons as well.

I've already reset my SMC, NVRAM and booted in safe mode. Before I go into reinstalling OS, can someone look at this and see if this is indicative of a hardware problem?

Posted on May 20, 2020 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 12:47 PM

This is a Different panic signature. The first one you posted is Classic Norton.

The fact that you got a Different panic is unrelated, and you should NOT reinstall Norton.

I have 2 theories (neither might be correct)

This panic is happening in the Graphics drivers, you have a 15 Macbook Pro, so this is possibly a failing discrete GPU. The 15" Macbook Pros have a history of failing discrete GPUs.

You could try running gfxCardStatus and locking your Mac so it ONLY uses the integrated intel GPU and see if that stops your Mac from panic'ing.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip

The 2nd theory is that

com.box.filesystems.osxfuse	303.10.2

is the kernel extension that is messing up your Mac.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 12:47 PM in response to mfigrs

This is a Different panic signature. The first one you posted is Classic Norton.

The fact that you got a Different panic is unrelated, and you should NOT reinstall Norton.

I have 2 theories (neither might be correct)

This panic is happening in the Graphics drivers, you have a 15 Macbook Pro, so this is possibly a failing discrete GPU. The 15" Macbook Pros have a history of failing discrete GPUs.

You could try running gfxCardStatus and locking your Mac so it ONLY uses the integrated intel GPU and see if that stops your Mac from panic'ing.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip

The 2nd theory is that

com.box.filesystems.osxfuse	303.10.2

is the kernel extension that is messing up your Mac.

May 20, 2020 2:22 PM in response to mfigrs

Definitely the month for Norton

com.symantec.ips.kext	10.0.0
com.symantec.nfm.kext	10.0.0
com.symantec.internetSecurity.kext	10.0.0
com.symantec.SymXIPS	9.0.1

The kernel panic signature is classic Norton Anti-Virus.

Remove Norton using the vendors uninstall instructions.

Do not replace it with another waste of electricity

Read the following

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841>

If you suspect you have adware on your Mac, run MalwareBytes, which has proven itself to be useful, as apposed to the other 3rd party A/V products.

May 22, 2020 6:25 AM in response to BobHarris

Well,

It turns out it wasn't norton. My Mac just had another kernel panic:

This type of kernel panic happens about 20% of the time - I've seen it before. I guess it is time to admit that it is macOS that has a problem. Perhaps apple wasn't much more careful about the kernel than norton was, as I clearly remember that this problem started after the security update around late Feb 2020.

Anyway, I guess I will try to reinstall OS and see if it helps.

May 21, 2020 1:30 PM in response to mfigrs

Norton has never been careful about how they muck about inside the kernel. And every time macOS release a new version, the bits in the kernel move and the behavior for unapproved kernel initerfaces, or just kernel data structures can change. Since Norton does not restrict themselves to approved kernel interfaces, they run the risk of getting their finger burned, and you having your kernel panic.

You do not want a 3rd party anti-virus package on your Mac. Apple provides protections built-in, and they improve those protections with every release (sometimes to the annoyance of users; but it towards improved security).

Read the effective defenses link above, and enjoy a Mac that does not panic.

May 28, 2020 5:49 AM in response to BobHarris

Ok, I've removed Box and no more panics for the last 3 days. I guess I should take back what I wrote about apple - it turns out it was the "Box" that was the culprit.

However, living without the Box nowadays makes my life pretty hard - all of my work files are in the Box. Actually not sure which is worse - panics every day or dealing with Box via the browser.

In any case, the problem is solved. Thank you, Bob!

MacBookPro Mojave randomly crashes every day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.