Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a Macmini to a TV. What's best?

Hello,

We just got a Macmini 2020, and we'll connect it to a TV that we have at the studio.

Would you use a simple HDMI cable to make the connection, or would it be better to get a USB-C > HDMI cable like this one, for example? I've heard that straight HDMI sometimes can be problematic (dropped frames, etc). Is that true?

https://www.amazon.com/uni-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook-Surface/dp/B075V5JK36/ref=zg_bs_202505011_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E5H77XWRPCYNKVDAMVT6

We do a lot of video/photography editing.

Thank you!

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 6:00 PM

Azurircred wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Sure, I can connect it with HDMI.

Yes it works using a direct HDMI to HDMI cable and you should try that before purchasing a USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter.

I was wondering if the quality is the same using HDMI only vs. USB-C > HDMI.

HDMI is HDMI and it would actually depend more on the size, resolution and if the TV has other inputs such as Display Port. For example, if the TV display also has a Display Port input, then it would be better to use a USB-C to Display Port cable.

We do a lot of video/photography editing

Your mileage may very depending on the quality of the TV. Keep in mind that large TV’s are better for video/movie playback and that smaller Displays are actually better for more detailed desktop and photo work.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 6:00 PM in response to Azurircred

Azurircred wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Sure, I can connect it with HDMI.

Yes it works using a direct HDMI to HDMI cable and you should try that before purchasing a USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter.

I was wondering if the quality is the same using HDMI only vs. USB-C > HDMI.

HDMI is HDMI and it would actually depend more on the size, resolution and if the TV has other inputs such as Display Port. For example, if the TV display also has a Display Port input, then it would be better to use a USB-C to Display Port cable.

We do a lot of video/photography editing

Your mileage may very depending on the quality of the TV. Keep in mind that large TV’s are better for video/movie playback and that smaller Displays are actually better for more detailed desktop and photo work.

Connecting a Macmini to a TV. What's best?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.