Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imap

All right, I'm not good at tech. I try to get email on my iPhone and I get this message: "The mail server "imap@comcast.net" is not responding. Veirfiy that you have entered the correct mail settings."

I can't find this setting. What am I doing wrong?

Posted on May 20, 2020 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 2:27 PM

If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts, tap on the Comcast account, then tap on the account again, that will show you your account settings. Under Incoming Mail Server, you should see Host imap.comcast.net, User Name is the part of your email before the 'at' sign, then your password. under Outgoing Mail Server, it should show smtp.comcast.net. to verify that setting, you need to tap on the SMTP, and just make sure it is turned on, then tap on it and makes sure you have username and password entered, Use SSL on, Authentication Password, and server port 587. Go back, tap on Advanced, and under Incoming Settings, Use SSL on, Authentication Password, and Server Port 993.

If you get confused by these settings, then just delete the account, power cycle the iPhone off and back on again, then go back into Passwords & Accounts, and add the account back new.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 2:27 PM in response to David Audley

If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts, tap on the Comcast account, then tap on the account again, that will show you your account settings. Under Incoming Mail Server, you should see Host imap.comcast.net, User Name is the part of your email before the 'at' sign, then your password. under Outgoing Mail Server, it should show smtp.comcast.net. to verify that setting, you need to tap on the SMTP, and just make sure it is turned on, then tap on it and makes sure you have username and password entered, Use SSL on, Authentication Password, and server port 587. Go back, tap on Advanced, and under Incoming Settings, Use SSL on, Authentication Password, and Server Port 993.

If you get confused by these settings, then just delete the account, power cycle the iPhone off and back on again, then go back into Passwords & Accounts, and add the account back new.

Jun 13, 2020 9:01 AM in response to David Audley

I have the same problem with Gmail. I'm using iPhone 6 with iOS 12.4.7. This problem came up recently BEFORE doing iOS update, which did not help. The error message starting popping up every few seconds, interrupting everything. I finally had to delete my Gmail accounts because trying enter/reconfirm settings and passwords did not work.

Using Google option for account set-up, when I try to re-enter account info, I enter email address and click Next, then nothing happens. ??? I've tried both Google and Other options for entering account info.

imap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.