Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal hard drive not mounting

Hello,

Recently I booted up my 2011 MacBook Pro and it started up with a screen to install OS X Lion... Naturally I wasn’t sure why, so I did some searching online and ended up getting into Disk Utility and notice my HD is no longer mounted. It is showing on the left bar but it is grayed out.

I’ve tried verifying it, repairing it, and mounting it through disk utility to no avail. I messed around trying some commands in Terminal as well and that did nothing. Even if I try to install Lion, it won’t allow me to select a hard drive to install to. The recovery HD is the only one available and it is grayed our and says it is locked.

I don’t have a backup on Time Machine or any other hard drive.

I bought a new external hard drive hoping I could somehow get my data onto it, but idk if that will even be possible.

So, am I just out of luck at this point? Is everything lost? I don’t really want to take it anywhere to have satay retrieved because I don’t want to spend the money on that. I have a lot of my pictures stored on another external, which is my main concern.

Is there a way for me to erase everything on the HD and start from scratch? Or is the internal HD completely toast?

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on May 20, 2020 4:55 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

May 29, 2020 12:43 PM in response to Jfire7777

If you need to recover files from the internal drive, then you have several options.

• Put laptop into Target Disk Mode so you can connect the laptop to another Mac.
  • Remove the hard drive and connect it to another Mac using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure
  • Install macOS to an external USB drive so you can boot the laptop from the external drive

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

• Contact a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack both provide free estimates are recommended by Apple.

I suspect you may have a failing hard drive or a corrupt APFS file system (or both). If you can install & boot macOS from an external drive you can use DriveDX to check the health of the drive. Otherwise you can check the health of the drive by using a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive created using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Option Boot the Knoppix USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". The computer may appear frozen on the boot picker menu while Knoppix boots so give Knoppix lots of time to boot.

Once Knoppix boots click on the "Start" menu icon in the lower left corner of the screen on the Taskbar and navigate the menus to "System Tools ---> GSmartControl". Within the GSmartControl app double-click on the icon for the laptop's internal drive to access the health report. Post the complete heath report here.

If the drive is failing, then the more you run it and the more you attempt to "fix" things the worse the failure will get where even a professional data recovery service may not be able to recover the data.

May 21, 2020 9:06 AM in response to Jfire7777

Hello Jfire7777,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to get your internal hard drive on your MacBook Pro to mount or show as available to reinstall OS X unexpectedly. To help with this, please try resetting the SMC and NVRAM on your Mac with the steps in these Apple resources, and then start up into Mac recovery mode and see if you can mount and run First Aid on your internal hard drive and then see if you can restart normally or reinstall the OS X software on your Mac:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

How to reinstall macOS

Cheers!

May 21, 2020 5:48 PM in response to Jfire7777

What version of macOS is installed on this laptop? What file system was being used? Is Filevault enabled on the drive?

See if you can boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R. See if you can install macOS to an external drive. Then you can Option Boot the external drive to see if you can access the data on the internal drive.

Can you boot the Apple Diagnostics?

May 30, 2020 5:16 PM in response to HWTech

Ok so I downloaded and ran DriveDX, or at least the free version. Results seem to be good, they are copied below. I’m on mobile and unfortunately I don’t have all functionality on chrome on the laptop, I’m assuming because this old version is no longer supported...

Anyways, I also ran the command in terminal and the result was: “Could not find disk: internal”

May 29, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Leanne_68

Ok, so I reset my NVRAM, as well as SMC according to the instructions you linked. After booting in recovery (which is what it is doing by default now) I went to disk utility > Macintosh HD and tried to “repair disk”.

Dialog box appears saying “Disk Utility stopped repairing “Macintosh HD” Disk utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

May 29, 2020 11:04 AM in response to HWTech

I’m not sure how to access where it shows what version of OS X it is via recovery mode. What do you mean by file system being used? I’m not familiar with FileVault either.

When I boot into recover and try to reinstall OS X, the disks that it gives me options to install it to are Recovery HD and my external HD; however the are both grayed out and say “This disk is locked.”

May 30, 2020 8:54 AM in response to Jfire7777

Since you can boot from the external drive run DriveDX and post the report for the internal drive here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. You need to determine the health of the drive before making any attempts to recover your data. If the drive is failing, then making attempts to recover the data will just make the problem worse where even a professional data recovery service won't be able to help.

Also, what file system is being used on the internal drive? Launch the Terminal app and run the following command and post the results here. Press the "Return" key at the end of the command to execute it.

diskutil  list  internal

Assuming you only ever had a single user account on the internal drive, then you should just be able to use the Finder to access the original user account on the internal drive to access your data. If you ever had more than a single user account, then you may not have permission to access the contents of the various folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) within the original account. In that case you could just copy over the entire "Documents" folder (or other folders) to the external drive. Carbon Copy Cloner is a good app which can access any user account and allows you to select/deselect items to transfer.

This all assumes the internal drive can be mounted. If it cannot be mounted, then you may need to use a data recovery app such as PhotoRec, TestDisk, or Data Rescue, but only if the drive is healthy. If the drive is not healthy, then you should contact a professional data recovery service since standard apps (even data recovery apps) cannot handle the errors produced by a failing drive and you will just make it the problem much worse.

May 30, 2020 6:49 PM in response to Jfire7777

While the drive is healthy, the "Load Cycle Count" (attribute# 193) is almost exhausted at 15% life left. When I see this attribute exhausted I have seen drive issues occur mainly with performance, but also other odd behavior. This drive is unusual in that most drives allow for nearly 600K - 900K events where this drive will wear out after about 200K events (unless the RAW value for this attribute has been miscaculated). Regardless of whether the RAW value is accurate the normalized "Value" & "Worst" are what really matter here as they are at 15% life left. macOS is very rough on hard drives so you should consider replacing it with a new drive or an SSD.

At least you can now concentrate on trying to recover the data since I don't see anything which would cause me concern about the drive. If you are using an older version of macOS and the HFS+ file system, then you may be able to repair the file system using the paid app Disk Warrior. While Disk Warrior is a great app for repairing HFS+ file systems there are limitations to what it can repair.

If you are running an older version of macOS then the "internal" option may not exist. Try running the command like this so we can check which file system is being used on the drive:

diskutil  list

Jun 13, 2020 8:17 AM in response to HWTech

Sorry for the delayed response! Result of that command is below... Are there any other apps you know of that may work? Ideally free to use ones?

/dev/disk0

#:           TYPE NAME          SIZE   IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *320.1 GB disk0

1:            EFI            209.7 MB disk0s1

2:         Apple_HFS Macintosh HD      319.2 GB disk0s2

3:        Apple_Boot Recovery HD      650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#:           TYPE NAME          SIZE   IDENTIFIER

0:   GUID_partition_scheme            *1.0 TB  disk1

1:            EFI            209.7 MB disk1s1

2:         Apple_HFS mHD          999.3 GB disk1s2

3:        Apple_Boot Recovery HD      650.0 MB disk1s3

Jun 13, 2020 1:39 PM in response to Jfire7777

Is your internal drive accessible when booted from your external drive? Have you configured the Finder preferences to show mounted volumes on the Desktop and on the left side of the Finder window?

If the internal drive is not mounted, then have you tried using the data recovery apps I suggested earlier? If you use TestDisk or PhotoRec you will need to reference "disk0s2" which is your internal boot volume "Macintosh HD".

Sometimes you may need to manually mount the internal drive by using Disk Utility. Within Disk Utility select your "Macintosh HD" or "disk0s2" volume and click the "Mount" button.

Ok, your internal boot drive still shows up with the correct partitions which is good. Since your drives are using the HFS+ file system the paid app Disk Warrior is an option for you to try and repair the file system on your internal drive if the drive doesn't mount for you. It is up to you whether the cost of this app is worth it since there are no guarantees DW will be able to repair the file system. I would try all the other options mentioned first.

Internal hard drive not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.